Using Power Automate to auto refresh Power BI App

Hi, can Power Automate create an automated flow to update Power BI app whenever my dataset is refreshed?

Problem: I currently have a flow to refresh the Power BI dataset whenever a change happens in the Sharepoint folder where my data sources are located. The Power BI report then updates when I hit the refresh button but ONLY when I’m viewing the report from the Power BI workspace.

However, for Power BI app (which my main stakeholders use to view Power BI reports), I have to manually click “Update app” in the workspace in order for the reports to refresh.

Many thanks advance for your help!

Hi @pacocha.florence
Just wondering you have access to ChatGPT, if you do you can ask it.
this is What i got when i put your question to ChatGPT

you are a power platform developer. can Power Automate create an automated flow to update Power BI app whenever my dataset is refreshed?

Problem: I currently have a flow to refresh the Power BI dataset whenever a change happens in the Sharepoint folder where my data sources are located. The Power BI report then updates when I hit the refresh button but ONLY when I’m viewing the report from the Power BI workspace.

However, for Power BI app (which my main stakeholders use to view Power BI reports), I have to manually click “Update app” in the workspace in order for the reports to refresh.

Many thanks advance for your help!
ChatGPT
Yes, Power Automate can be used to create an automated flow that updates a Power BI app whenever your dataset is refreshed. You can achieve this by leveraging the Power BI REST APIs available in Power Automate.

Here’s a high-level overview of the steps involved:

Trigger: Set up a trigger that detects when the dataset is refreshed. Depending on your specific scenario, you can use triggers like “When a file is modified in SharePoint” or “When a Power BI dataset is updated.”

Get App Workspace ID: Use the “List Workspaces” action in the Power BI connector to retrieve the ID of the workspace where your app is located. You can filter the workspaces based on your requirements to ensure you retrieve the correct workspace ID.

Get App ID: Use the “Get Apps” action in the Power BI connector, specifying the workspace ID from the previous step, to retrieve the ID of the app that you want to update.

Update App: Utilize the “Update App” action in the Power BI connector, providing the workspace ID and app ID obtained in the previous steps. Set the appropriate configuration options for the update, such as specifying whether to update all the app’s content or only specific reports and dashboards.

Save and Test: Save the flow and give it a test run to ensure that it updates the Power BI app when the dataset is refreshed. Monitor the flow run history and check the Power BI app to verify that the updates are reflected as expected.

By setting up this flow, you can automate the process of updating your Power BI app whenever the dataset is refreshed, eliminating the need for manual intervention.

Please note that the specific actions and connectors available in Power Automate may evolve over time. The steps provided are based on the available functionality as of my knowledge cutoff in September 2021. Make sure to refer to the Power Automate documentation or explore the available actions within the platform for the most up-to-date information and configuration options.

Maybe that would get you started. :slight_smile:

thanks Keith

2 Likes