Using images as shape map fill

Hello, when using the shape map, I was wondering if instead of having each State filled in with a color, to have each state filled in with an image based on a particular value. Similar to the attached image.

Thank you!

@Hastings ,

Welcome to the forum- great to have you here! One question - would you be open to the use of custom visuals to do this (and ones that are not Microsoft certified)?

It’s a really interesting question, but I don’t want to go too far down the road in testing solutions if uncertified custom visuals are a no go.

I’m pretty certain this can’t be done with the native visuals

• Brian
1 Like

Hi @Hastings, did the response provided by @BrianJ help you solve your query? If not, how far did you get and what kind of help you need further? If yes, kindly mark as solution the answer that solved your query.

I hope that you are having a great experience using the Support Forum so far. Kindly take time to answer the Enterprise DNA Forum User Experience Survey, we hope you’ll give your insights on how we can further improve the Support forum. Thanks!

Hi @Hastings, we’ve noticed that no response has been received from you since July 10th. We just want to check if you still need further help with this post? In case there won’t be any activity on it in the next few days, we’ll be tagging this post as Solved.

Thank you for following up on this @BrianJ and I am glad to be here too! So much great material from the team.

To answer your question, they would be our own Company brand logos etc. The image I posted was just an example since I had seen that done in the past. At the end of the day I can use various colors to represent if needed, but thought it would be nice to have the filled image instead if it were possible. Unfortunately I haven’t seen anything that would make me think it is possible either but thought I would ask the question.

Thanks again!
Hastings

@Hastings ,

Yes, it is possible with a custom visual called Icon Map, which is an absolutely brilliant geospatial custom visual. Amazingly, it’s also free. The issue is that the current version which has the capabilities to do this is not Microsoft certified (though ironically, the author James Dales is a Microsoft MVP, largely on the basis of his work providing Icon Map to the global Power BI community).

I’m happy to work through the process of how this could be done with you, but didn’t want to waste either of our time if your company would not permit the use of uncertified custom visuals.

Please let me know if you want to proceed down this path…

Thanks!

• Brian

Thank you @BrianJ ! Funny how that happens right.

I noticed that Icon Map is not in AppSource so I went to their website and it looks like they are currently developing a new version. I downloaded the beta that they are working on and was able to get something pretty close to what I was trying to do. Couldn’t get the image to fill within the boundaries of the States but I was able to get the image to show up over each State.

With the Icon Map team actively working on a newer version, I don’t want to have you spend the time going through it either. I think what I have will be alright for now but I will keep an eye out for when the new version comes back to AppSource. Then at that time if I am still having issues I will reach back out… thanks again!

@Hastings ,

FYI - you might be waiting a very long time before the current beta for Icon Map gets cleared through AppSource. Apparently, clearance is a pretty nightmarish process, and I think Icon Map is now two versions ahead (counting the beta) from what’s cleared in AppSource.

If you’re really committed to getting the image to fill to the boundaries of the state, I found the attached free collection of SVG state images over which you could superimpose your logo, re-save, post to a free image server (I use imgbb.com) and then pull the URL links down into Icon Map. Lot of effort to go through, but wanted to provide this if you were still committed to fully meeting the original target requirement.

Here’s the github link for the zip of the state SVG images:
https://coryetzkorn.github.io/state-svg-defs/

state-svg-defs-master (1).zip (85.9 KB)

Good luck!

• Brian
1 Like

Hi @Hastings, we’ve noticed that no response has been received from you since July 15th. We just want to check if you still need further help with this post? In case there won’t be any activity on it in the next few days, we’ll be tagging this post as Solved.

Thank you for taking the time and outlining this workaround as well as for all your help @BrianJ ! I really appreciate it

1 Like