Using Data Model Metadata in Tooltips

The Relationships view in Power BI desktop allows for documenting attributes in your model.

What I am trying to do is to include the descriptions I created in my data model as a footnote to tooltips to help my dashboard consumers understand what the measure definition is.

I have read a blog post from 2017 detailing how to manually create a metadata table for the same purpose, but this is essentially creating a second copy of the documentation.

Has anyone done this? If not, do you know where I can find the documentation about accessing data model metadata from within Power BI reports?

Thanks in advance!
Sean

1 Like

Hi @SeanP, we aim to consistently improve the topics being posted on the forum to help you in getting a strong solution faster. While waiting for a response, here are some tips so you can get the most out of the forum and other Enterprise DNA resources.

• Use the forum search to discover if your query has been asked before by another member.
  • When posting a topic with formula make sure that it is correctly formatted to preformatted text </>.
  • Use the proper category that best describes your topic
  • Provide as much context to a question as possible.
  • Include the masked demo pbix file, images of the entire scenario you are dealing with, screenshot of the data model, details of how you want to visualize a result, and any other supporting links and details.

I also suggest that you check the forum guideline How To Use The Enterprise DNA Support Forum. Not adhering to it may sometimes cause delay in getting an answer.

Please also check the How To Mask Sensitive Data thread for some tips on how to mask your pbix file.

@SeanP,

Welcome to the forum – great to have you here!

Below is an article on extracting the metadata to a JSON file, which you can then further manipulate to pull in the measure values in a form that can be used in tooltips.

There are also more automated ways to do this via DAX Studio or my preferred approach, using Monkey Tools, which in two clicks can produce the following report in Excel, for easy import into Power BI and use in tooltips.

I hope this is helpful.

– Brian

@BrianJ, thanks so much for the reply. I’ll dig into the information you’ve shared. I see that the Monkey Tools information comes in two presentation/training videos which will take me a bit of time to work through, but I like the two clicks part within Monkey Tools :wink:

I’m surprised that there’s no way to access this metadata directly from within DAX. I might actually go and make this a suggestion in the Power BI Ideas resource (if it’s not already there).

Thanks again,
Sean

@sean,

Check out the following page, which has a nice comparison table showing the features of the free version, trial version and full version of Monkey Tools. It looks like even the free version allows you to create a summary report from the Model Sleuth module, which is how I created the above measures table.

It would be great to be able to access the metadata directly, but until then this may be a free and easy fix for you.

– Brian

1 Like

I remember working with Vertipaq Analyzer. It is a powerful excel plug-in from that can help you extract information and measures / calculated column formulas from your model.

1 Like

Hi @SeanP, did the response provided by the users and experts helped you solve your query? If not, how far did you get and what kind of help you need further? If yes, kindly mark the thread as solved. Thanks!

Hi @SeanP, we’ve noticed that no response has been received from you since the 15th of January. We just want to check if you still need further help with this post? In case there won’t be any activity on it in the next few days, we’ll be tagging this post as Solved. If you have a follow question or concern related to this topic, please remove the Solution tag first by clicking the three dots beside Reply and then untick the checkbox. Thanks!

A response on this post has been tagged as “Solution”. If you have a follow question or concern related to this topic, please remove the Solution tag first by clicking the three dots beside Reply and then untick the check box. Thanks!