URL Link Attached to a button icon not working

Good Day All.

I would like to request some assistance on an issue that has randomly occurred.

I have attached a URL link to a button. This URL navigates to an external website based on a filter selection. Previously this button used to work both in the app, and on PowerBI online service. As of 2-3 weeks ago, the button suddenly stopped working on the Online Service, and off recent, also stopped working on the app. The button has a cross with “see details”. When I try to reassign the button to the DAX measure under the action “web URL”, the function that previously worked perfectly, has now been greyed out and wont allow me to select it.

Has anybody else experienced a similar problem, and possibly know a solution to this? Your help will be highly appreciated.

@Akshay_05,

Have you checked to confirm that the measure you are assigning the button to has been assigned a data category of web URL?

• Brian

Hi @BrianJ,

I have checked it now,
All measures have been assigned to WEB URL.
The button still has a cross with “see details”. And the measure is still greyed out and wont allow me to select it under “Actions” - “Web URL”

Hi @BrianJ,

This is the error I get when I click “See Details”

PBI Error

Is at least some of your data coming in from SQL Server?

• Brian

Hi @BrianJ,

The entire dataset is coming from SQL server

@Akshay_05,

Okay, it sounds like there’s a problem at the source. I am looping in @Greg, our resident SQL expert. He probably won’t see this until the morning Eastern time, but in the meantime I would run a DAX query in DAX Studio or Tabular Editor evaluating your web URL measure in context. I strongly suspect you’ll find the measure is not calculating correctly due to the SQL source problem.

Would it be possible for you to post a version of your PBIX file exhibiting the problem you describe, but masking any sensitive/confidential data?

• Brian

Hi @Akshay_05. This screams SQL permissions to me … computers don’t do random. I’d verify the URL connection in a browser or SQL Server Management Studio (whichever is appropriate) as a next step. A PBIX would be required to go further, but it as well may not be enough as if a database is a source, its likely that the forum members won’t be able to access it anyway (but we may be able to render and use the button if it doesn’t require credentials and permits anonymous access, so …).
Greg

1 Like

Hi @Akshay_05, did the response provided by the users and experts help you solve your query? If not, how far did you get and what kind of help you need further? If yes, kindly mark as solution the answer that solved your query. Thanks!

Hi @Akshay_05, we’ve noticed that no response has been received from you since the 1st of March. We just want to check if you still need further help with this post? In case there won’t be any activity on it in the next few days, we’ll be tagging this post as Solved.

Hi @Akshay_05, a response on this post has been tagged as “Solution”. If you have a follow question or concern related to this topic, please remove the Solution tag first by clicking the three dots beside Reply and then untick the check box.

We’ve recently launched the Enterprise DNA Forum User Experience Survey, please feel free to answer it and give your insights on how we can further improve the Support forum. Thanks!