UI design for the future of EDNA

@BrianJ @sam.mckay was just watching the video “Power BI Mastermind w/Sam McKay & Alex Badiu”
You asked for any idea of the look and feel to submit. I was thinking why dont you just embed the Map visual that Sam shows with all the courses and the levels on the right into the portal itself.
Like you said the grid view.

Maybe having a “+” icon in the grouping of Beginner, Intermeidiate, Advanced.
So users will expand to see all course in that group.
:rofl: or maybe embed a tooltip over the groupings to see all courses.

Personallly I prefer having the “knowledge base” on top as I sometimes forget it is there.
Because as of now it is down below - can be a little hidden. But hey, no biggy.
Lets be honest this is still one of the best educational platforms…

Anyways just did a quick dirty mockup

3 Likes

@Shrik,

Thank you so much for the great input, and for taking the time to put together the mockup. This has really gotten my wheels spinning. Taking your approach one step further, we could build out the metadata around each course (level, topics, instructor, order, date, etc.) and then build a Power BI report around that data, published to the web. This would allow everyone to create their own custom learning map and bookmark it in the service, so that when new courses that fit their criteria were added, they would automatically show up in your customized bookmarked learning plan.

For example, you could say that you were looking for intermediate and higher courses on data prep and data visualization added within the last 18 months. Or all beginner or intermediate level DAX courses taught by Sam. Or all advanced analytics and Power Platform courses – you get the gist.

What do you and others on the forum think of that idea?

As always, we truly appreciate your feedback. Every member of the eDNA Team is passionate about constantly iterating, innovating and improving to facilitate each and everyone of you meeting your learning and professional goals. Getting constructive feedback directly from you about what is working well and what could be improved is absolutely essential to that process, so let’s keep these conversations going.

• Brian
3 Likes

This is awesome. Being able to crowdsource ideas on this is a super idea.

Can’t wait to see what other come up with.

Make sure to account for all the new content we have planned as well.

Sam

3 Likes

@BrianJ ahh I see!! I like it! I get this approach…
This is only the start, but it has got me thinking, taking your approach one step further…
The metadata and integrating within PBI, we could also integrate the EDNA Bot - why not? I am assuming the EDNA Bot behind the scenes has some sort of indexing based on words coming from the forum. Why not add in the EDNA bot too using the okviz smart filter.

I guess theres no right or wrong answer to this. But understanding how we can make the experience as intuitive as possible but keeping in mind it is not overly engineered.

Looking forwards to seeing what other people think?

Shrik

@Shrik,

Thanks - another great suggestion. I have a call with Sam tomorrow, and this thread is at the top of my list to discuss. I actually don’t know much about the data model behind Edna, so will pick Sam’s brain about that tomorrow as well. The forum search terms might be useful as well. Definitely like where we’re headed with this…

• Brian

P.S. :+1: on the SmartFilter Pro recommendation. Definitely my most frequently used custom visual. Great look and functionality.

1 Like

@Shrik,

Just an update on this one - @sam.mckay has made this a priority and he and I with support from a number of members of the @EnterpriseDNA team are collaboratively developing a graphical, fully dynamic individualized learning map in Power BI. We hope to have an initial version rolled out in a couple of weeks.

Will keep you posted.

• Brian
2 Likes

@BrianJ @sam.mckay Sounds great!
Thanks for letting me know. Can’t wait to see what this looks like @BrianJ!

Shrik

Just a thought…
Maybe we have a future Power BI Challenge on this?
Just an idea anways…

2 Likes

Thanks for starting this discussion @Shrik and to all contributors on this post. We appreciate users sharing varied updates and infos relevant to Power BI.

We are tagging this post as “Solved” due to the inactivity if the thread. For further questions related to this post, please make a new thread.

1 Like

@Shrik,

Just wanted to update you on the dynamic learning map project - @sam.mckay and I have been hard at work on that over the past few weeks, and version 1.0 just went live today in the portal:

We’ll be doing a formal rollout of it soon, but I wanted to give you a heads up, since the whole idea for this project came out of your message to me following the Mastermind event last month. Thanks again for your feedback - very eager to hear your (and others) thoughts on this first version.

• Brian

@vkarthik21 - looping you in as well here, since we’d talked about this project a few weeks back, and I’d promised to keep you posted as we made progess.

7 Likes

Thanks @BrianJ, appreciate your update. Will look forward to that.

Thanks Brian

Huge amount of effort from Brian dreaming this up and putting it together.

Massive addition to our amazing education platform!

Enjoy

Sam

@BrianJ @sam.mckay
I’ve seen. This is the Power BI Dashboard. - awesome!
It is amazes me how and what 1 idea is all takes to really impacting the learning experience to so many users.

I couldn’t agree more strongly. Literally every day, the main question the Enterprise DNA Team asks is “how can we make our platform and our content even more beneficial and valuable for members?”. However, without your feedback, we are just making educated guesses.

Later this Spring we will be undertaking some initiatives to solicit feedback broadly in a systematic way, but we always welcome and appreciate input like yours at any time and in any form. As you say and have seen, one great suggestion can benefit many.

Thanks again for your input and engagement, and glad to hear you liked what we did with your suggestion. :grinning: (note that we are continuing to improve and refine the Dynamic Learning Map, and hope to have version 2 rolled out next week, which has some additional very cool features…)

– Brian

1 Like