Trend Line Not Available in Line Chart

Hi
I tried to put trend line on the Line chart I found (Average, Percentile,Min,Max,Median) line but I didn’t found this type of line (trend), can any expert or member guide me on how create this line?
Note: I attached the (pbix) file with my thread , please refer to report page titled(Trends).

HR_DB 1.1.pbix (1.2 MB)

@MAAbdullah47,

If you change your X axis to a numeric type, the trendline option will become available (red line below):

I hope this is helpful.

• Brian

Hi @BrianJ Again

Sorry About the missunderstod, what about the Dates (Month and Year) how can we convert it to Number?

@MAAbdullah47,

The problem is that the trendline feature only works with continuous data, and something like “Jan 2014"” is categorical, not continuous. So, I think you have 3 options:

1. You can create a numeric YearMonth column in your Date table, e.g., 201401, 201402, etc. and use that as your x-axis column. Easy fix, but doesn’t look great on your visual; or

2. Instead of the auto trendline feature, you can develop a measure that will estimate a linear regression line for your data and then add that to your line chart as a third data series. This will allow you to use a categorical x axis.

3. Create the visual via an R script and import it into Power BI.

If you choose option #2, this video may be quite useful:

I hope this is helpful.

• Brian
2 Likes

Thank you @BrianJ I did it now as you said in the begining of your answer (Jan 2014) through the following column formula : “Year-Month”, EOMONTH ( [Date], 0 ), It works now.

@MAAbdullah47,

Great – glad to hear that worked well for you.

• Brian