Template/Software to Document Power Query/DAX calculations - Any ideas?

Hi All,

I am leaving my current job and I have all this report I built in power query and power bi which I need to document and I don’t know where to start. I am just overwhelm by the amount of work I need to do. Does any one here has any ideas on a software or template to document your power query m code steps or dax calculations? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Patrick N

Hi Patrick, I guess this is might be helpful for you. Despite of the name it is also for measures:
Document all Power Query M code without copy pasting it - YouTube

2 Likes

Hi, I found the following video to be quite helpful.

Check this video out:

Thanks @Matthias

Thanks @jps

Hi @ambepat
If it’s for specific reports/datasets…I found the Document Model external tool by Data Marc quite useful as a “starting point”.
You can get it via the Business Ops tool here, then add the Document Model via “add external tools”.

If anything, it will give you a nice extract of all the measures, tables, columns, etc in your model, that you can export out if you need to document further. OR, give you inspiration to go back into the apps and tidy up the descriptions on key elements, then just publish a Document Model per report and hand that back to the business.

All the best
Michelle

1 Like

Hi @ambepat, did the response provided by the community members help in solving your query? If not, how far did you get and what kind of help you need further? If yes, kindly mark as solution the answer that solved your query. Thanks!

Hello @ambepat , just following up if the response above help you solve your inquiry?

We’ve noticed that no response was received from you on the post above. In case there won’t be any activity on it in the next few days, we’ll be tagging this post as Solved.

Hi @ambepat, due to inactivity, a response on this post has been tagged as “Solution”. If you have a follow question or concern related to this topic, please remove the Solution tag first by clicking the three dots beside Reply and then untick the check box.