Table.Buffer - Its usage

Hi,
I have been trying to follow the principle’s Melissa de Korte has used in the Power Query series and other videos for creating as much M Code from the Menu options and re organizing common elements into functions.
In Melissa’s entry for Challenge 5 Optical i see she uses the Table.Buffer M Code function on the Clients table and would like to know if it was possible to generate this performance optimization using the menu options. I have not found one yet and some online references to the Table.buffer say it is not very well documented by Microsoft.

Any insights would be appreciated|

Regards
Russell

1 Like

Hi @russellw999,

You are right, there is no button to call the function Table.Buffer in Power Query (or List.Buffer for that matter)

Incorporating a buffer step won’t automatically mean performance gain, either.
I guess you could say there’s a trade off. Power Query uses streaming semantics for tables and lists, that means you don’t have to pull in all the data first, perform a transfromation on each element before it’s passed on to the next transformation. Instead it pulls data through the transfromations in a more streaming like fashion.

Table.Buffer can be useful if you want to store an intermediate result in memory and avoid pulling content from disk, a remote file share, a SQL Server, a website, or any other data source multiple times during an evaluation. You can think of Table.Buffer as, “load this full table into memory” (and make it immutable…)

Here’s an article I found informative.

i hope this is helpful.

3 Likes

Hi @russellw999, did the response provided by @Melissa help you solve your query? If not, how far did you get and what kind of help you need further? If yes, kindly mark as solution the answer that solved your query.

I hope that you are having a great experience using the Support Forum so far. We’ve recently launched the Enterprise DNA Forum User Experience Survey, please feel free to answer it and give your insights on how we can further improve the Support forum. Thanks!

Hi @russellw999, we’ve noticed that no response has been received from you since the 21st of May. We just want to check if you still need further help with this post? In case there won’t be any activity on it in the next few days, we’ll be tagging this post as Solved.