SWITCH TRUE CALCULATIONS - Financial Reporting with Power BI course

Hi All

I am currently going through the Financial Reporting with Power BI course.

I have a question on the Income statement sections re the Overlay main DAX formula combination to template design and using the switch true formula to calculate “Selected Year Actuals” measure for the Total Revenues row.

I followed the example (refer to 2:50 of the video) and getting a blank number for the measure created. The Total Revenues value in the video is $205,994.82 and not able to see this when I created the measure. The measure is not returning anything. The row is just blank

See measure details below: ( screen copy included)

Selected Year Actuals =

VAR CurrentItem = SELECTEDVALUE(‘Income Statement Template’[Items (Normalized)] )

RETURN

SWITCH(TRUE() ,

CurrentItem = “Total Revenues” , DIVIDE([Revenues] , 1000, 0 ) ,

BLANK() )

looking forward to getting feedback

Many thanks

Looks like ‘Income Statement Template’[Items (Normalized)] doesn’t have a single row in the current filter context. SELECTEDVALUE checks if a column has a single row in the current filter context, so try selecting single value for ‘Income Statement Template’[Items (Normalized)] try using slicers

Hello @atin,

Thank you for posting your query onto the Forum.

What I’ve observed from the given picture is everything seems good with the given formula. The more important thing to be considered over here is the formula that you’re providing in the current screenshot is the branched out formula and therefore if you’ve committed any typo error in your primary measures then the subsidiary or branched out measure may not show the desired result.

I’m providing the screenshots below where the Card Visual absolutely shows the correct figures by trying out different variations. I’m also attaching the PBIX file of my working for your reference. The only point to be noted over here is if don’t select any of the the row the card visual will show blank but you can show default number in any visual by providing the condition in your formula. So in your case you can say if nothing is selected then show “Net Profits” or any total you that would like to display.

Please feel free to write back in case I’ve missed out on anything.

Thanks & Warm Regards,
Harsh

Actuals and % to Revenue Combined Measure.pbix (812.3 KB)

2 Likes

Hi @Harsh

I will check out your file now - Many thanks

Please find attached my PBIX file too.

I have checked all my primary measures and cannot see any errors. Hoping when you review my attached file, you can spot any typos errors

Financial Reporting In Power BI_practice.pbix (649.8 KB)

Hi @AntrikshSharma

Many thanks for your comments. I tried using slicers and still getting blanks.

I have included my file for @Harsh to review. Please have a look at it to and let me know if you can see any errors/ typos.

Superb work Harsh.

Hello @atin,

I’ve reviewed your PBIX file and indeed there was a “Typo Error” in your DAX while creating one of the column. Below are the screenshots attached step wise for the reference in order to evaluate where the “Minor Mistake” was committed which ultimately affected your “Total Revenues” result.

If you review my PBIX file you’ll observe that while creating the “Type” column under the "Income Statement Date", I’ve written the DAX as follows -

Type = 
IF( 'Income Statement Data'[Expense Category] = "Revenue" , "Revenues" , "Expenses" )

Whereas in your file it’s written as provided in the given screenshot -

Just because you’ve missed to write “S” in your “Revenue” it gave you the entire “Total Revenues” side as “Blank”. I’m providing a screenshot below for the reference.

But now after correcting your formula. The revised formula will look like as per the screenshot provided below -

Once your formula for “Type” column is corrected the “Blank” from the “Total Revenues” side will get replaced with the “Actual Figures”. Below is the screenshot provided for the reference.

And finally you can have your desired result that you’re looking for. Below is the screenshot provided for the reference.

I’m attaching the PBIX file of my working for the reference.

Hoping you’ll find this useful and helps you to achieve the best desired analysis.

Please feel free to write back in case I’ve missed out on anything. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks & Warm Regards,
Harsh

Financial Reporting In Power BI_practice.pbix (649.3 KB)

2 Likes

Hello @sam.mckay,

I’m really “Thankful” and “Grateful” to you Sir for recognizing my efforts and appreciating me for my work. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks & Warm Regards,
Harsh

Hi @Harsh

Many thanks for your assistance and sorting my query. I have now corrected my formula and the Total Revenues numbers are now visible.

Best wishes

Hello @atin,

You’re Welcome. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m glad I was able to help you.

Best of luck with your analysis. :+1:

Thanks & Warm Regards,
Harsh