Showing ITEMS based on Date Range

I have Items table with start and end date.

I have a DATE table that spans 01/08/2019 to Today.

Basically, I am trying to chart the items on a time series line chart with a time slicer to choose the dates of interest with. The challenge is the dates aren’t consecutive in the rows, and span across the start and end date times. When I select a range of date, the ITEM list does not change to reflect the change in dates. Thought it could be a relationship that is missing, but tried that route with no luck. Any ideas please?

Attached is data sample in excel and .pbix file
Sample.pbix (118.4 KB) Sample.xlsx (8.9 KB)

Thanks

1 Like

@Hesham,

First, thanks very much for posting a clear description of your problem, with the PBIX and data files attached. This makes it much easier to provide support.

You are on the right track - the main problem here is the lack of relationship between your date and fact tables. First step is to mark your date table as a date table in order that the time intelligence functions work properly.

Then, we can create the needed relationships between the date column in your date table, and the start and end dates in your fact table. You can only have one active relationship at a time, so I made start date the active relationship, and end date inactive:

From there, I created a measure to harvest the end date from the slicer:

Harvested End Date = 

CALCULATE(
    MAXX(
        ALLSELECTED('Date'),
        'Date'[Date]
    ),
    'Date'[Active] = 1
)

And then another measure to filter the end date in the table based on the harvested end date:

Filtered End Date = 

IF(
    SELECTEDVALUE( 'Sample'[EndDateTime] ) <= [Harvested End Date],
    SELECTEDVALUE( 'Sample'[EndDateTime] ),
    BLANK()
)

To make the visual look better, I limited the slicer to the minimum and maximum date values in your fact table. The one thing to note here is that because the relationship between the date table in the end date in your fact table is inactive, we had to “switch it on” with the USERELATIONSHIP() function:

Max Date = 

CALCULATE(
    MAXX(
        ALL('Sample'[EndDateTime] ),
        'Sample'[EndDateTime]
    ),
    USERELATIONSHIP( 'Date'[Date], 'Sample'[EndDateTime] )
)

From here, you should be able to create whatever graphs you need.

Here are a number of videos explaining these concepts in more detail:

https://forum.enterprisedna.co/t/handling-multiple-dates-in-power-bi-with-dax/507

http://portal.enterprisedna.co/courses/108877/lectures/2000641

I hope this is helpful. Full solution file posted below.

1 Like

@BrianJ,

Thanks for the detailed response. That was very helpful.