Selling PowerBI reports on a subscription basis

Hi all
My company would like us to be able to develop PowerBI models for clients and then sell them on a subscription basis rather than on an hourly rate. Partly to protect our Intellectual Property and partly because it’s very attractive commerically.
The only way I can think you could do this in a way that would allow you to remove access if the client stopped paying their subscription would be to build the report in our own tenant and then grant them guest access. However the client would probably object to their data not being in their tenant.
Anyone else come across this? Any useful thoughts?
Thanks
James Walsh.
Isosceles Finance, UK.

If the customer is an Office 365 customer, and your company is their Partner of Record (POR) then you’ve got admin access to their tenant. In that case, you’d easily be able to control access to the reports and they’d have their data in their tenant versus in your tenant.

1 Like

Hi @JamesWalsh, we’ve noticed that no response has been received from you since the 8th of February. We just want to check if you still need further help with this post? In case there won’t be any activity on it in the next few days, we’ll be tagging this post as Solved. If you have a follow question or concern related to this topic, please remove the Solution tag first by clicking the three dots beside Reply and then untick the checkbox. Thanks!

Thanks for the info Mickey. We’re not an official Microsoft partner so looks like this isn’t an option currently. Useful to know though - thanks.

Hi James,

I find myself in a similar position.

Did you get any further with this?

Paul

Hi Paul @kellysolutions
Sorry, only just seen your reply, but no we never found a way to achieve this.
Thanks
James.