Scheduled download of Excel report from Power BI Service

Hi Experts,

I wanted to achieve-

1. Scheduled download of a report page from Power BI service. Or even the entire report.
  2. Wanted to have it in Excel format.

I have a Power BI Pro license and no premium capacity.
I tried to use power automate but that required premium capacity.

I appreciate it if you have any suggestions/recommendations to achieve the objective within my resource constraints.

Regards

2 Likes

Hi @sheik_mishuk

is the end goal to have an excel file saved down in a specific location or merely to get an excel export?

My first through is to use Paginated Reports but I’m unsure on the licensing implications. You can set up a subscription which will email it out.

Yes, the objective is to download in a specific location or get the report through mail.
I know, it works with a premium license with power automate.

I am not sure how can I achieve the goal with my Pro license.

Can I get it from a paginated report to my mail despite I have a pro license only?

1 Like

The below link will help you understand the licensing.

Paginated reports in Power BI: FAQ - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Hi Davie, thanks for sharing. Its not working then as it requires Premium Zen 2 license at least.

1 Like

Hi @sheik_mishuk,

I recently set up both a service-based Power BI report in a workspace and a Power BI app (not the mobile version) for distribution of selected report functionality in the workspace. There is a Subscribe menu item on the top menu bar after you access the report itself or within an app.

My organization currently has only Power BI Pro licenses. I was able to create a subscription within the Power BI app that emails a single report page and includes a link to the report as seen within the app. The option to attach the whole report to the email was grayed out with a tooltip saying a Premium license and new workspace experience were required.

I got the email and confirmed that the “Go to report” link opened the app pointing to the selected report page. I also confirmed that the report itself did not know about the subscription created within the app, so subscribing to a report within an app is different from subscribing from within the report itself.

This solution does meet the need identified in item 1 of the OP, but only for one report page. Technically you could create a subscription for each page if that fit your needs.

John C. Pratt

1 Like

We hope the answers above helped you @sheik_mishuk :slight_smile:

If not, how far did you get and what kind of help you need further?

If yes, kindly mark as solution the answer that solved your query.

Hi @jpratt ,

Thanks for your passionate answer!

Yes, I had in my mind about the subscription option. But that dont come with the excel version of the report. I actually need the data in Excel format. Could you be able to get the data in Excel while you set it up subscription from the app?

@sheik_mishuk,

That option does not appear to be available without using a paginated report, and as @DavieJoe indicated with the linked article, you need Power BI Premium Gen 1 at least to create subscriptions for those paginated reports (Gen 1 requires a setting to be enabled by an admin). There are various options to manually export data from a Power BI report to Excel, but not via subscription.

Even with Power BI Report Server on-prem, which I primarily use, you cannot subscribe to Power BI reports, only paginated reports. With the paginated reports, you can deliver them in Excel format.

John C. Pratt

2 Likes

I think I know the options with premium licenses.

However, I am exploring how can I automate scheduled report download in excel format with a pro license. Looks like that is not possible anyway?

1 Like

Bumping this post for more visibility.

Hi @sheik_mishuk - It seems there is no option to perform this task without premium license. I could find one other option using Power Automate but this also requires Premium license and also can’t verify if it supports Excel.

As there don’t seems to be other options, can mark this post as resolved.

Thanks
Ankit J

Hello @sheik_mishuk, just following up if the response from @ankit help you solve your inquiry?

If not, how far did you get and what kind of help you need further? If yes, kindly mark as solution the answer that solved your query.

Hello @sheik_mishuk, it’s been a while since we got an response from you. Due to inactivity, a response on this post has been tagged as “Solution”. If you have any concern related to this topic, please create a new thread.