Scenario Analysis

Hi,

I’ve gone through scenario analysis for Price, Demand and cost change.

I was wondering how can we achieve this analysis if we don’t have units and quantity. Let’s say we only have total revenue column.
How can we achieve scenario analysis in that case for Price, Demand and Cost?

Thanks
Ankit

Hi Ankit,

Are you referring to a specific video tutorial example that you would like to apply to a situation where you only have revenue and no individual product/service cost or price? If so, what is the title of the video tutorial/s?

Sample files (pbix, dataset) and screenshots would help to understand what you would like to achieve.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Yes I’m referring to below tutorial and I was just wondering how can we achieve the same if we only have revenue.

Thanks
Ankit

Hi Ankit,

Just to be clear, do we have the revenue by product or not? If we have revenue by product then we simply replace unit price and quantity with product price in the “Selected Scenario Sales” measure.

If the revenue granularity is not at the product price level then the scenario has to undergo some changes.

I don’t have access to my computer right now but will get back to you in the morning. It’s after 10 pm PST here in California at the moment.

Thanks,
Mark

Hi Mark,

Cool with me, take your time.

I’m just thinking this as a real time example, where we can face this kind of challenges, so I wanted to learn if it’s possible in that case.

Let’s say we just have sales amount of all the products and profit for all the products in this case and nothing else at our disposal to derive these columns.

So if you have sales amount and you have profit, Sales - Profit = cost.

My guess is that the rest of the data exists somewhere, maybe not in the data set you’ve got currently.

Just remember:
There are 2 types of people in the world:

1.  Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data
1 Like

And who are those 2 people in the world?

So I was wondering that in scenario analysis we’ve always used a multiplier with the cost or price or quantity to get our results.

So now when we don’t have those variables how can we still derive the same results to have a change in price, demand or cost with those data points.

–Ankit

Thanks to the contributors of this post. Due to the length by which this post has been active, we are tagging it as Solved. For further questions related to this post, please make a new thread.

Hi @kkrj.ankit, you may also want to check this video where Sam talked about Getting Started With ‘What If’ Paramaters - Scenario Analysis Techniques. You might get additional tips here.