Same Report, Differing Date Format for Different Users

Hello,

I’ve created a report that is being used internally within a client organisation of mine. The report is working well and everyone is very pleased. I have shared the report with specific users who need to see the data using the Manage Permissions function in the Power BI service and given them read only access which is all they need and all I wish to give them.

In the corner of the report is a date and time stamp so that users are aware of how up to date the information is. The date field is set to show as dd/mm/yyyy and this is working correctly for me when I go into the Power BI service and see it. Here is my problem:

I was just on a Teams call with a colleague who shared his screen with me and I could see the report. I noticed that for him, the date field is displaying as mm/dd/yyyy which is incorrect because here in NZ that isn’t how we read dates and it will create confusion for others. So I would like to correct it.

I’m wondering if there is a setting in the Power BI service that differs for my colleague and that is why it is flipping the date. Despite the pbix file stating it should be shown as dd/mm/yyyy. Or whether he has another setting embedded within his MS365 licence that is causing this issue.

I’ve attached the screen grab of the relevant part of the report. The date is 2 March so it should be displaying as dd/mm/yyyy and yet my colleague’s Power BI Service is changing it and I’d like to correct it for him and others.

Thanks!

mmddyyyy
ddmmyyyy

1 Like

Bumping this post for more visibility.

@5thGreen I think it is how the PC is configured for each timezone of the specific user. Are you using UTC (universal time coordinated)?

paul

Hello @5thGreen, we’ve noticed that no response has been received from you since a few days ago.

We just want to check if you still need further help with this post?

In case there won’t be any activity on it in the next few days, we’ll be tagging this post as Solved.

All users are in the same time zone (New Zealand).

UTC isn’t used as the data is coming from a database and I’m simply using the format that it is given in. When the Power BI Service refreshes it automatically, it was showing the time in the region of the refresh which was about 12 hours behind NZT. I have converted it to NZT and then when I use a card to display the date and time, I configure the card to show dd/mm/yyyy plus the time. It is fine on mine but when other staff in the same city and office view it, it shows mm/dd/yyyy

Hi @5thGreen - Date Format the user might be seeing is based on the Windows Date Setting. Check if the User Windows Date format is in mm/dd/yyyy. If yes, then request the user to change the format to dd/mm/yyyy as requested.

Below Article provide information on how to change Date Time format on Windows.

Thanks
Ankit J

1 Like

It’s great to know that you are making progress with your query @5thGreen.

Please don’t forget if your question has been answered within the forum it is important to mark your thread as ‘solved’. We request you to kindly take time to answer the Enterprise DNA Forum User Experience Survey,We hope you’ll give your insights on how we can further improve the Support forum. Thanks!

Hi @5thGreen

We’ve experienced a similar issue and we’ve not gotten to the bottom of it yet, I’ve got a date slicer which refuses to display dd/mm/yyyy format.

A workaround we’ve used, that might work for your date/timestamp, is to create a measure and wrap it in FORMAT ( YourColumnOrFieldName, “dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm:ss”.) When wrapping it in FORMAT this allowed the users who were seeing it in mm/dd/yyyy format to see it as dd/mm/yyyy

Is this what you did?

David

Hello @5thGreen, it’s been a while since we got a response from you. In case there won’t be any activity on it in the next few days, we’ll be tagging this post as Solved.

Hello @5thGreen

Please see if this helps: Power BI Service: Date Formats

2 Likes

Hi @5thGreen, due to inactivity, a response on this post has been tagged as “Solution”. If you have any concern related to this topic, you can create a new thread.

Thank you so much! This has solved this issue.

1 Like

Hi Dave,

What I actually did was changed the column type within Power Query and then just displayed it as with the month name e.g. 16 March 2022. I lost the timestamp but it was a compromise I could live with.

See the response in this post that I’ve marked as the solution. This fixed the issue for us. It’s not a Power BI issue at all. It’s a web browser issue.

Paul

1 Like

Hey Paul,

no worries, glad you got a resolution to your issue.

DJ

1 Like