RLS path calculation help

Hello
I am pretty new to RLS and have been trying to implement it in a certain way.

My table above is a sample. I am trying to create RLS here based on the levels. Normally I can create 3 roles for 3 levels where, Level 1 is regular employees Level 2 is supervisor of employees Level 3 is the manager/head of the building (based on the BuildingID)

I am trying to create RLS where the manager (Level 3) will be able to see the data for people below them by filtering through. For example when the manager of BuildingID=‘233’ logs in, they can filter through the report to see people they are assigned to.

It would be clickable in the filter pane. However, I am more used to on doing DAX calculations when the manager ID is on a different column and this seems to be a new scenario. I have tried a couple of methods and so far have not been successful. Any kind of help here would be much appreciated.

Hello @supergallagher25,

Thank You for posting your query onto the Forum.

I’m providing an article from Microsoft which is similarly based on your query and also providing some of the links of the videos available on RLS.

Hoping you find this useful and helps you in setting up “Row Level Security”.:slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks & Warm Regards,
Harsh

Thank you so much for all those links that you provided. They are very helpful. However, I am trying to create pathways based on those levels since I do not have a seperate column that would show the managers ID. How would I do that?

if I understand correctly - the example (toward the end of the video) from Pragmatic Works might have your answer.

They detail a nested manager solution, in addition to showing some tricks you can do in the query editor and with DAX to create the filters needed for RLS. Video is almost an hour long, but well worth the time for advanced RLS requirements.

To the contributor of this post. Thank you for sharing your experiences around Power BI, please don’t hesitate to add more discussion or add value to wherever you think you possess the experience or knowledge that can help others in our Ecosystem Groups. You can also help us in improving the Support forum further by answering the Enterprise DNA Forum User Experience Survey. We appreciate the initiative and your help in this group!