Revert .pbix file to an earlier version

Hello, my IT department will be deprecating my Power BI version from Jun 2020 back to March 2019.
Is there any way to make my current .pbix file compatible with the earlier version? Some functionalities won’t migrate, but I am pretty sure that I won’t even be able to open the file with an earlier version.

Thanks

Mark

@Mombo,

Here’s the archive with all the previous versions of power BI to download:

Here’s what Microsoft says about compatibility with previous versions:

So it seems like a bit of a crapshoot that you have to test on a month by month basis to see whether your PBIX can be opened in the previous version that you’re reverting to.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck!

• Brian
1 Like

Hi @Mombo
Mark,
I’m not sure why IT would be going all way back to March 2019. Maybe you can download older versions of Power BI to your laptop/desktop so you can view them.

I also found that older version file extension is this: i just did a google search: " file extension for previous version of power bi"
The file extensions (PBIX and PBIT) are already associated with whatever version of desktop is installed and registered with Windows. The remedy is quite simple… just reinstall the latest version of Power BI Desktop and perform a Repair if you already have that version installed.’’

You will likely lose all the new formats, functions that you created in the updated version of power bi.

I also noticed that you can save the file in PBIT (older version) in the current version of power bi when you click on the down arrow on Save as type: Marked in yellow.

Check it out maybe it would work.

I would definitely encourage your IT area not to go back that far.

I hope this helps.

Good luck,
Keith

Hi @Mombo. I feel your pain. I’m in a similar situation at work: My company-supplied hardware came with the September 2019 update (still very old), I used it for about a month, then they downgraded me to the April 2019 version. None of my PBIX work would open in the older version. I’d give the PBIT a try as @Keith suggested. While I was in stasis between versions, I did try to get older versions and my first try was the link that @BrianJ included; this described all older versions, but would only let me download the current version (at least I could never find the download link for the older versions). I did eventually find a server in Italy with older versions available for download https://zenatti.net/, but only downloaded and installed this version on an old standalone machine. Although I didn’t have any issues and was able to re-create from scratch and share PBIX files with the staff, I’m always hesitant to use anything other than the original source for a production machine. Hope this helps, and good luck. Greg

2 Likes

Thanks for all your suggestions. I will let you know how it turns out.

1 Like