Retrieve more than 2000 rows for a PowerBI dataflow

How is it possible to construct a PowerBI dataflow that can retrieve more than 2000 rows of data? The current default data limit is 2000 records which needs to be expanded to retrieve 4000 records. Is there a setting that can be applied to retrieve more than the 2000 record limit for a dataflow? In the example provided a web api call is being made to retrieve data from RALLY.

Dataflow example.txt (15.2 KB)

The expected results would be a dataflow holding more than 2000 records.

2 Likes

It’s a bit strange you are restricted to 2000 rows, I have a data flow that has tens of thousands of rows.

Are you sure there isn’t something in your Dataflow that is filtering out rows?

What licence are you using?

1 Like

@jfarland1118
unless you have any filters placed in the dataflow, it will pull all the data available in the source.

Since you mentioned you are getting data from an API, i am quite confident that its the API that has some kind of default limit set to it. and its common Api’s to set a limit generally by pagination.

id recommend that you read the documentation of the API in detail and modify your m code accordingly. That should help you.

i hope this helps.

1 Like

Thank you for the feedback. I have some things to check out now.

Hi All,

To build upon the discussion above, I did find out the WebAPI being used is only able to retrieve 2,000 records at one time. Does anyone have any M code to do recursive data source calls until all of the records in the query are retrieved? For example, if the data source contains 5000 records, there would be a total of three recursive data calls in M to retrieve all of the records

hey @jfarland1118 ,

I believe this video will help you and give you a good head start

1 Like