Report Builder Error (not enough memory)

Hello,

I’m using Report Builder (product version: 15.0.19440.0) to create paginated reports. I keep getting the error message as attached.

What could be the issue and how to fix it?

Thanks,

Wendy
report builder error

Hi @WendyZhang. I’d guess there are too many rows/columns in the data being retrieved to fit in the memory of your workstation. Perhaps try to filter the rows and/or columns from the dataset to make it smaller, and close all programs except for Report Builder and try again. Also, you may want to restart your workstation and only start Report Builder to ensure the maximum memory is available on your machine.
Hope it help.
Greg

P.S.: if the dataset is being retrieved from a database (e.g., SQL Server), I’d also try to run the query in the native database access tool (e.g., SSMS) to ensure that the query actually returns the records you want.

Thank you Greg.

The backend data source is the tabular model which is harder to review the query. Is anything to do with the report server set up?

I’ll close off all applications and try again.

Wendy

Hi @WendyZhang. I doubt its the Report Server itself, unless it is installed on a small and/or really busy machine; your IT department should be able to comment further. There should be no issues with the tabular model, but perhaps the amount of data you’re retrieving is too much for the available server memory or your workstation memory; again, your IT department should be able to comment further.
Greg.

Hi @WendyZhang, did the response provided by @Greg help you solve your query? If not, how far did you get and what kind of help you need further? If yes, kindly mark as solution the answer that solved your query. Thanks!

Hi @WendyZhang, we’ve noticed that no response has been received from you since the 2nd of June. We just want to check if you still need further help with this post? In case there won’t be any activity on it in the next few days, we’ll be tagging this post as Solved.

I’m working with our infrastructure team on the issue and will update the post if resolved.

Thanks,

Wendy

1 Like

Hi @WendyZhang, we’ve noticed that no response has been received from you since the 8th of June.

We just want to check if you were able to resolve your concern?

Or if you still need further help with this post? In case there won’t be any activity on it in the next few days, we’ll be tagging this post as Solved.

A quick update to my post.

We decided to optimize the dataset in the backend to address the memory issue. It seems a large data processing on the report level caused the memory issue.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Wendy