Removing Blank (empty) field from ranking calculation

Hi

I have used the RANKX function to calculate the ranking of data for a column in my data set my issue is i have a large number of fields in the column that have N/A as the data, i used the replace function to replace N/A with an empty field but it is still counting these fields in the calculation. How can i exclude the empty fields so the ranking calculates based on only the fields that has data in them.

Any help appreciated - thanks
Lifesaving rule = RANKX(ALL(‘Lifesaving Rules’[Lifesaving Rules.1]),[Total Lifesaving Rules],desc)

1 Like

@AoakeP,

Try wrapping your RANKX in a CALCULATE function in order to change the filter context, and add filters to exclude the rows where the relevant fields are blank:

Lifesaving rule =
CALCULATE (
    RANKX (
        ALL ( 'Lifesaving Rules'[Lifesaving Rules.1] ),
        [Total Lifesaving Rules],
        desc
    ),
    FILTER ( 'Lifesaving Rules', 'Lifesaving Rules'[FieldX] <> BLANK () ),
    FILTER ( 'Lifesaving Rules', 'Lifesaving Rules'[FieldY] <> BLANK () )
) 

Hope this is helpful.

• Brian

Hi Brian

I tried using the calculation you suggested, not sure i have written it correctly, what does the symbols <> mean in this context.

The result changed but it ranked each category as 1

Lifesaving rule =

CALCULATE(

RANKX(

ALL(‘Lifesaving Rules’[Lifesaving Rules.1]),

[Total Lifesaving Rules],desc

),

FILTER(‘Lifesaving Rules’,‘Lifesaving Rules’[Lifesaving Rules.1]<>BLANK()

)

)

Hi @AoakeP,

Excellent solution provided by @BrianJ as always :slight_smile:

Please try to understand context. It says when Lifesaving Rule.1 is blank, dont calculate rank. But in your case, it is not blank. Instead your measure/column(Total Lifesaving Rule) is blank. So, you may adjust formula and try below:

Lifesaving rule =

CALCULATE (
    RANKX (
        ALL ( 'Lifesaving Rules'[Lifesaving Rules.1] ),
        [Total Lifesaving Rules],
        desc
    ),
    FILTER (
        'Lifesaving Rules',
        'Lifesaving Rules'[Total Lifesaving Rules] <> BLANK ()
    )
)

@AoakeP,

This is why you always get the best answer/support when you provide a PBIX along with your question. When we’re providing DAX solutions based on a general description, we have to guess field or measure, and assume a particular data model which may or may not be correct (often DAX problems are not really DAX problems, but data modeling problems). However, if we can test the solution first even on a sample PBIX file, we can be sure that what we provide you will work for your particular situation/model.

• Brian
2 Likes

Hi guys

Here is a snapshot of the data table, sorry i could have sent this early. Does this help?

@AoakeP,

Unfortunately, not really. The best would be if you could post a PBIX with any sensitive information masked, or just representative sample data used in place. In lieu of that, the next best thing would probably be a screenshot of your data model, showing all the relevant field names.

Thanks.

• Brian

Thanks Brian

I will create an example pbix file this morning and send it through

Cheers
Paula

1 Like

Lifesaving Rule Forum example.pbix (103.9 KB)

Hi Brian, i have recreated the scenario in the attached pbix file. I was wondering whether the issue is with my total lifesavings rule calculation where i have used count rows so the calculation is counting the rows in that column that has no data, would the solution ne to filter out the blank rows in in the countrows calc?

Thanks
Paula