Removing access to DAX/mapping

Hi Forum

I have created a series of detailed PBI dashboards that I wish to hand over to some of my clients to use, however, I do not want to share my dax, mapping, etc. (“IP”). Is there a way to send someone the pbix file and have these sections hidden/not accessible?

Thanks

Stu

Hi @Stuart. AFAIK no, once the PBIX file is accessible the all the code (e.g., calculations, modelling, filters, etc.) is accessible. Once its on the client’s infrastructure (or account) you no longer have control. If the PBIX is published to the Power BI Service where you have total administrative control, I believe you can disable the ability to download PBIX files, which may be an option for you.
Greg

@Stuart This depends on where the data will be published

Your PowerBi environment - meaning one you can log into at PowerBi.com (and you can limit which workspaces your client sees)

1. you can separate the report from the dataset - https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=powerbi+separate+dataset+and+report
  2. once this is done, you can publish the dataset to a completely different workspace from the workspace of the report - and don’t give your client access to that workspace
  3. even if the client downloads the report, they won’t have access to the dataset with your measures and structure.

NOTE: if by ‘hand over’ to your client, in order for them to continue to design the report, someone at their end will need to have some level of access to the dataset in order to do effective report design.

Your client’s PowerBi environment -
you have no control over, and the dataset needs to be available for the report to be of any use to the client

2 Likes

Hi @Stuart, did the responses provided by @Greg and @Heather help you solve your query? If not, how far did you get and what kind of help you need further? If yes, kindly mark the thread as solved. Thanks!

Hi @Stuart, we’ve noticed that no response has been received from you since the 8th of January. We just want to check if you still need further help with this post? In case there won’t be any activity on it in the next few days, we’ll be tagging this post as Solved. If you have a follow question or concern related to this topic, please remove the Solution tag first by clicking the three dots beside Reply and then untick the checkbox. Thanks!

A response on this post has been tagged as “Solution”. If you have a follow question or concern related to this topic, please remove the Solution tag first by clicking the three dots beside Reply and then untick the check box. Thanks!