Reader entering data into PBI report

Hi there,

I was wondering if there is any way in PBI to allow users to enter data on a report page. Meaning that they have the possibility to write something, for instance in a field of a table, which will be stored in the underlying database again.

Regards, Jeffrey van der Gugten

Hi,

No, this is not possible, PBI is at the analysis and visualisation end.
I would feel very uncomfortable with the thought that a user could impact on the underlying data, data integrity would be hard to maintain.

Paul

Enterprise%20DNA%20Expert%20-%20Small

Thank you for the quick reply.

Exactly this. But, and if this a huge but, you can have an excel file where users can enter in data and have that feed into the data model. But have to weigh the pros and cons of that.

Nick
Probably I misread the question, assuming Jeffrey asked for a way to change data in Power BI and write back to Excel. This is not possible.
Obviously it is possible for more users to access the underlying data, which after refresh will update the PBI file.
Example, currently testing a procedure where an Excel file is uploaded into a Saas Route Planning tool, the data will be allocated to vehicles and the uploaded file willl be returned with the routes and delivery completed or not, which is then added to the original Excel file eventually showing in a PBI dashboard.

Paul

My mistake. You are most certainly correct :slight_smile:

I have not heard back so I assume so. :grinning:

Good morning, first of all, thanks for thinking along with my question, any comment/help is appreciated, also when that means something is not possible.
What we envision would be a way, in PBI, to let users of a report enter a (status) text or number somewhere in a field. This value could then be ‘saved’ in a table inside PBI data model. I presume the last step is not foreseen in PBI, like Paul said in his reply. Of course there is the workaround we could use, with a sharepoint collecting the input from users, and then using this as a datasource for PBI reports.
Any other thoughts are welcome !
Have a good day, regards, Jeffrey

Hi,

PBI does not allow this. You cannot change fields like you can in Excel, your workaround is fine.
This table, in Power Query, could also be merged with the facttable, and it will be refreshed with any new comments and the status can be shown in the PBI dashboard.

Paul

We have integrated powerapps into our powerbi reports which allows users to enter data. Might be worth exploring.

Yes I agree on this.

Power Apps is being built by Microsoft for this very purpose I believe.

If you require some custom imput by users then I think that your best bet is to explore power apps and see how you might integrate this into the model that you have inside of Power BI

We are also currently looking into this - see video below, using the custom visual which allows you to integrate a PowerApp within your Power BI report!