RANKX example 3 in Mastering DAX Calculations course

Hi All,

I am working through the Mastering DAX calculations course and have hit a problem with one of the ranking formulas in the ‘Practical examples for using ranking functions’ video.
There’s an example in which a formula ranks the total sales for the Customer Names/Product Names combination. Here is the formula:

RANKX Example 3 =
RANKX(
CROSSJOIN( ALL( Customers[Customer Names] ), ALL( Products[Product Name] ) ),
[Total Sales], ,DESC )

As you can see from the screen shot, the function hasn’t calculated the ranks correctly…

Rankx

What have I missed?

Thanks in anticipation,
Pete.

Looks correct to me, Product 1 at 82K is ranked 1 for Lorens, Product 1 at 62K is Ranked 2 for Dharma

Hi @AntrikshSharma,

Thanks for the quick reply…This is what the expected results should be (taken from the video)…

Cheers,
Pete.

@pete962 That’s strange, just checked the video and your measure is exactly the same, maybe the difference is in the Total Sales Measure? Can you share the PBIX file?

Hello @pete962,

Thank You for posting your query onto the Forum.

Well the same logic and formula absolutely works fine in my file. Below is the screenshot provided for the reference -

Below are the formulas used that I’ve used to calculate the Ranking as was shown in the video -

Total Sales = 
SUMX( Sales , 
    Sales[Order Quantity] * Sales[Unit Price] ) 

RANKX - Harsh = 
RANKX(
    CROSSJOIN( ALL( Customers[Customer Names] ) , ALL( Products[Product Name] ) ) ,
[Total Sales] , , DESC )

I’m also attaching working of my PBIX file for the reference.

Hoping you find this useful and helps you to find the desired results that you’re looking for. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks and Warm Regards,
Harsh

RANKX Function.pbix (661.5 KB)

Hi @Harsh and @AntrikshSharma,

Thanks for the suggestion and. @Harsh, I have copied your formula and pasted it into my PBI and still the same results…I have uploaded a copy of the problematic PBIX…

Thanks,
Pete.Mastering DAX Calculations.pbix (827.7 KB)

@pete962 To me it looks like that the PBI file is broken, look at the below screenshot, it is not able to rank even the products.

But when I created a new file it works correctly with single column with ALL.

1 Like

Thanks for this @AntrikshSharma, do you know if this is a common fault in a PBIX? Thanks for investigating this and confirming that I’m not going crazy :smiley:

Cheers,
Pete.

I’ve never seen this happen before. Great detective work by @AntrikshSharma in diagnosing the source of the problem.

• Brian
2 Likes

@pete962 To be honest, I don’t really know.

This works in your file :

RANKX Example 3 =
RANKX ( ALL ( Products ), [Total Sales],, DESC )

This doesn’t (This made me question my DAX knowledge):

RANKX Example 3 = 
RANKX ( ALL ( Products[Product Name] ), [Total Sales],, DESC )

I am able to rank in the table:

When I created a duplicate product table, everything works, I even duplicated the calculated columns:

So it will be safe to assume that something went south when you imported the data from the queries:

here is the working file:
Mastering DAX Calculations.pbix (834.9 KB)

2 Likes

I’ve never seen it happen before either …

Thanks @AntrikshSharma for your investigations and solution :smiley: