Problem Filtering TOPN

Well I am struggling trying to understand how the filter pane works because I see different results if I filter by year or not and I don’t understand why.

I have this matrix with Year and Product as rows and Month by Column. I just want the top4 products but the result differ if I filter also by year in the filter pane or not as you can see in the following images.

Anybody could bring some light into this?

Thank you
The first image has no year filter activated

The second and third images has the filter year activated

As you can see only the 4th row changes its values.

well for the year 2021, only last row changes, however for the 4th image, last 2 rows change.

well at top level it appears to work fine, but to investigate thereason why the numbers are changing we really need to investigate what is happening in your data model and your tables.

Please share a working PBIX file so I can investigate and help you better on this.

Sure!
DNA06 - Native Visuals2.pbix (354.7 KB)

Hi @danieldecaboriveiro ,

In first case you have Top 4 products based on all Years

In second you have TOp 4 in Year 2021

If you check distribution storsql and Whathype by year you can see the difference:

Results depends of filter context that you define in Filter Pane (in your case All Year, Year = 2021, Year = 2022) + other

Yeah! I know the filters are doing something.
So when I don’t filter any year I see values from 2021 and 2022.

When I filter I only see the numbers from 2021 and nothing from 2022.

But I don’t understand why the 2021 numbers are affected when I apply a filter to only be able to see 2021 data.

Shouldn’t be the same 2021 data with the ear filter or without it?

Filters are filtering your data and base on that you got different results.

Results depends on your dataset.

In this that you provide it you have situation that Product Storsql and product Whathype have different distribution over the years

For Storsql Total Revenue in 2021 is smaller then For Whathype in same period (Year = 2021) ( 30,137.95 < 32,416,19).
and for 2022. is opposite (18,864,96 >10,657,16). In total (for both years) Storsql (49,002,91) > Whathype Total revenue(43,073,35)

So in first case - when you don’t filtering Year Top4 - On 4.plase is Storsql (has overal total revenue > Whathype ;
49,002,91 > 43,073,35)

In case - when you filtering Year 2021 Top4 - on 4. place is Whathype (has 2021 Total Revenue > Storsql product (32,416,19 > 30,137.95)

In case - when you filtering Year 2022 Top 4 - on 4. place is Storsql (has 2022 Total Revenue > Whathype product (18,864,96 >10,657,16)

1 Like

Top 4 places depends if you have All Years, Year = 2021 or Year = 2022

and then fullfill Total sales based on that
(that’s why if you filter just 2021 you got different Top 4 list then for All Years even if you break your visual by year → Calculate Top 4 of overall and then it split values by the years)

1 Like

If you want to have Ranking base on product (without Year) to have something like:

(I am in hurry so apologized for sorting mess)

You need to add another Ranking measure like

Rank Products = RANKX(All(Products[Product]),[Total Revenue])

And filter base on that

Hope it helps

1 Like

I see! Thank you for your clarification! :slight_smile: @mspanic

1 Like