Power BI Report Server; Power BI in On-Premises

Hi,
I want to know that can we create more than 1 power bi report server for different people under one premium subscription or it is limit to 1 per premium subscription.

pls, help me in this .I need this info.

Thanks,
Anurag

Hi @Anurag. I’m not sure in Premium, but if your organization has a license for SQL Server 2017 (or later) Enterprise Edition with Software Assurance, you can make multiple installs of Power BI Report Server for free on your premises. A recent client of mine was in such a situation and had 3 installs, one each for DEV, TEST, and PROD. Good luck. Greg

1 Like

Thanks, for Reply you mention ‘on your premises’ that mean for one license you can make multiple instance but in same premises . I have a scenario where i need to install it and they all will be different entity .So in that case every entity need to by different licenses that what i am asking.

Sorry, I don’t quite get what you’re asking. The experience I’ve had with PBIRS, and my understanding, is that you can create one (at least) one PBIRS instance for each SQL Server 2017 (or later) with Software Assurance license you own; a recent client used SQL Server 2017 and had licenses for DEV, TEST, and PROD and setup three corresponding instances of PBIRS. Again, not sure about Premium. Perhaps you can find more info at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/get-started.
Greg

What i am asking i tell you through my scenario
my company deliver reports to clients who are on cloud we create power bi pro and share the report to them .
Now we receive request from new clients for on premise reports they do not want to put there data on clouds .
So i am asking if we buy premium can we provide on prem sol to those 4 customer or we need to buy 4 different licenses for them to provide them the solution

hoping this time i am clear with my question and you understand my point.

Well, it’s still unfortunately not clear, but it sounds like you want to use your Premium license to create PBIRS reports to be hosted and consumed on your client’s premises … I doubt this can be done at all, and even if it could be done, I’m guessing at a minimum you’d need an identically-named and configured environment with the same data sources (schema) available so you could create the reports in your PBIRS environment and email them to the client who could then deploy them onto the client’s PBIRS environment.

BTW, PBIRS has its own specific version of Power BI Desktop that is not compatible with the Power BI Service, so both you and your client would need to be using the same version of both the PBIRS and PBIRS Desktop.

For your client to host and consume PBIRS reports on their premises they will need their own license for PBIRS, which they can get via their own Power BI Premium license of their own license for SQL Server 2017 (or later) Enterprise Edition with Software Assurance.

Greg

I am know getting a clear idea about it.
My last question as you told me about your recent encounter where one of your client setup 3 PBIRS

“a recent client used SQL Server 2017 and had licenses for DEV, TEST, and PROD and setup three corresponding instances of PBIRS”

They have sql server license and they buy 3 Software assurance on top of that to activate 3 PBIRS that what you are saying .

Just let me know i understand that part correctly.

Thanks,
Anurag

Yes, they already had the 3 SQL Server licenses with software assurance, so could setup 3 instances of PBIRS on their premises.
Greg

Got my answerer thanks.