Power BI Desktop October Update

Nice little polishing update!

Apparently, there’s also a conditionally-formattable lollipop visual in the October update, but I can’t find it. Has anyone else located it?

• Brian
1 Like

Here you go

Lollipop Bar Chart (microsoft.com)

:lollipop: :lollipop: :lollipop: :lollipop: :lollipop:

1 Like

@DavieJoe ,

Thanks for the clarification! I saw a post on LinkedIn this morning that made me think it was now a Microsoft native visual. Thought the lollipop option might have been buried somewhere within the bar chart options…

• Brian
1 Like

@marcster_uk and @DavieJoe ,

Per your request:

Thanks for the suggestion…

• Brian
1 Like

Cool……I bet there won’t be any Paginated Report questions for ages now :joy:

Maybe it’s just me but I find the new measure authoring experience in the October Update to be incredibly frustrating - there are many moments when the various “Helpful” Pop Up boxes obscure entire lines of code and I am getting a little tired already of hitting Esc and find it a real concentration breaker - my thoughts are, if you need to know what a measure does, then just look it up in the DAX guide. Incredibly annoyed by this nonsense. Nice colours, though…

Craig,

I’m giving it a chance, but my initial impressions are similar to yours. However, I do like it in M so I figure it may be just a matter of getting used to it in DAX. But what’s up with those icons? A wrench for fields? A folder for variables? It’s like Intellisense has become a weird Rorschach test.

I figure if I don’t end up liking it, no big deal since TE3 has better intellisense anyway…

• Brian
1 Like

Thanks Brian - I’m also trying to give it a chance but when you get this you just want to cry into your hands - I think they made need to give this a rethink because this is going to drive you nuts eventually.

2 Likes

@Craig ,

Yeah, that ain’t good…

One thing I will credit Microsoft with is when they make a major gaffe on Power BI, they do frequently listen to the community and fix it. Like the incredibly ill-advised swap of new meansure /new column on the menu a few months ago that had all of us unintentionally choosing calculated columns for a month.

And as I mentioned, you can always travel to the magical wonderland where Intellisense stays out of your way, provides useful additional info, and the icons actually mean something…

• Brian
2 Likes

Thanks and Noted Brian - I have a subscription to the amazing TE3. I’ve just discovered this, though , and it looks like ALLSELECTED() is not able to accept more than one column inside of a variable and I don’t think TE3 can rescue me from that scenario - must be a bug.
Craig.

Craig,

The problem is your syntax on ALLSELECTED. Here’s how to select multiple columns:

• Brian

Brian,
Nothing wrong with the syntax. I have put ALLSELECTED() into a variable to re-use and call later in other variables as a table filter instead of typing it out each time - hey, that’s what variables are for, right? Try it yourself in a variable.
Craig.

Put the table filter to your calculate into a variable and try it again, make sure you’re seated, first.

Daniil has just reported it - I also contacted him. Let’s see what happens. Hopefully I don’t find anything else wrong with it tonight, at least…

@Craig,

My apologies - I was doing a couple of things at once, and thought you’d repeated the ALLSELECTED. You are absolutely correct - weird bug.

• Brian

@Craig ,

You were right - I was being far too charitable earlier. The more DAX I write under the Oct 2021 update, the more I realize that feature should never have gone to production.

• Brian

1 Like

New bug fix has been released 28th October, taking version to 2.98.1004.0 details:

• Formula bar fixes:
    • “best” available list will be shown as the suggestion list;
    • the parameter hints intellisense widget will cover function contents for multi-line measures;
    • DAX intellisense service is updated to set the right UI culture and respect localized DAX separate options;
    • the parameter hints will be shown when a suggestion is accepted;
    • error won’t be thrown for table names that start with “’”;
    • few icons are added to the suggestions list to make the suggestion clear and avoid confusion;
    • missing function parameter information is added for some DAX functions and now intellisense works for them;
    • the latest icon files will be shown for variable and enum formula bar icons.
4 Likes

Well @DavieJoe, I’ve been eagerly awaiting the SWITCH function improvement. For a couple of years in fact!
One of my main uses of Power BI is an accounting PBIX/App which has a SWITCH statement that works some very different DAX in each SWITCH option to arrive at various KPIs, PL amounts, balance sheet numbers etc.
V slow a couple of years ago. More because I was a newbie. But managed to get it down to 3 second report refresh. The Oct update now has that DAX running at about 1.5/1.8s.

So pretty pleased. But you’re right the rest of it wasn’t exciting.

Pete

1 Like