Power BI Desktop Crashing on load from Excel

Something weird going on with the march Power BI Desktop Release maybe - I’m simply trying to connect to an Excel file, and PBI Desktop crashes every time.
At first I thought it was because Windows 10 defaults to saving to OneDrive, so I’ve instead saved the file to the local machine’s desktop, same problem.
Then I thought it was an issue with the file, but any Excel file I connect to has the same issue.
I’ve rebooted, same problem exists.
Here’s a video example: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgytcDfT4DRFkIFfq2UVDov_Ve_C6Q?e=8mMGQI
(I’ve let it run for about 15 minutes, and nothing happens, I killed this after about 15 seconds)
Version info: Version: 2.91.884.0 64-bit (March 2021)
Am I missing something obvious here?
Thanks in advance for any help,
Rod

The only workaround I could figure out is to save it to SharePoint, and then connect to the file stored on SharePoint. (Connect to Web, etc.)

I have the same version and I don’t get any error, try to re-install power bi, does a restart of the system works?

I’ve used the latest version available for over a year now and have never had issues connecting to Excel. I agree with @AntrikshSharma to try uninstall/reboot/reinstall. If issue persists, then perhaps permissions on the Excel (just for a test, save the Excel as a CSV and see if Power BI imports it normally).
Greg

Thanks - I’ve tried rebooting to no avail, but given your reply and the one below I guess it’s time to uninstall and reinstall.
When I’m back at that computer I’ll give that a shot and get back to you. Thanks for the replies.
Rod

Uninstall/reinstall solved the issue.
Thanks for the replies on this.

2 Likes