Power BI Connector for Google Analytics 4 Codes

Hello

I am trying to bring Google Analytics data into Power BI.

I can bring in data that belong to properties that have an old Universal Analytics (UA) code via the default connector, but not new ones that have Google Analytics 4 (GA4) codes.

I have done some research online and have not uncovered an easy to implement free solution to this problem which makes me think that a) there is not such a thing or b) nobody else is having this problem and I am doing something silly.

My employer has just launched a new website with a GA4 code installed and want to start seeing a reporting dashboard on site activity soon. If one or more of our clever members can point me in the direction of a good solution that will allow me to get this data into Power BI I would very much appreciate it.

I have no workbook to share as there is no data in it just yet.

I am fairly new to Power BI and new to Enterprise DNA - this is my first post on this forum.

Kind regards
David

Hi @dshaw,

First thing I want to say that I have never used this. I just did a quick search on the web

I have found the following:

Have you check the Power BI community?
Youtube. I found a lot of the videos that might be able to help you.

Have you posted something on the Power BI Community or sent a message to Microsoft Power BI support team to see if there is proper connector to power bi.

I hope you will be able to find a solution.
Thanks
Keith

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply, Keith.

I did see Windsor AI but it is not a free solution. It could be a good backup option if a free solution is not available/adequate.

I will check those resources - thanks for the suggestions. The Power BI support team is a good idea - I would have thought creating a new connector in Power BI so that Google Analytics data can continue to be imported would be important to them.

Regards

David

1 Like

another thought, Did you check power bi ideas? There might be something there that someone as already suggested to part of power bi. Or maybe you start something on Power BI ideas.
thanks
Keith

1 Like

I had never heard of Power BI Ideas…i have a lot to learn about the Power BI space.

Thanks again :slight_smile:

Looking at Power BI ideas I can see a couple of requests for a GA4 connector that are currently needing votes

https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=cbdd8756-ef2c-eb11-8441-281878bd39c2
https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=18eca8a4-2f79-ec11-b820-501ac50a9d95

I have voted for them and so if anyone else is thinking Power BI should update their connector for Google Analytics to what will be the only supported property type on 1 July 2023, it might help to vote there too.

In the meantime, I will report back if I come across a solution that works for me.

Hi David / @dshaw ,

Welcome for Enteprise DNA forum.

Like Keith, I don’t have practical experience yet with that topic,
but find out some additional resources that you can check in meantime:

via
Power BI (Datasets)
Power BI (Dataflows)
Power Apps (Dataflows)

(option 2 - with Python)

Good luck.

Best regards,
Maja

2 Likes

Thanks Maja/@mspanic

In my research last night I did come across the Tada page which was great.

Based on what I have seen so far there are two options that I will investigate with my manager, both of which require a company Google Cloud Platform account.

The first is a custom connector created by a data scientist called Gavin who is based in Scotland and had faced the same issue as me: https://cooriedug.com/custom-ga4-power-bi-connector-setup/

The second is using BigQuery - whilst there is an associated cost I believe it would be very low for my organisation, the Real Estate Institute of New Zealand. Early data suggests < 100,000 total users a week. More on that solution here: https://www.optimizesmart.com/how-to-connect-google-analytics-4-with-bigquery/#11-what-is-the-cost-of-using-bigquery-for-ga4- or here: https://support-google-com.translate.goog/analytics/answer/9823238?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp

I hope this helps someone else looking at the same problem and waiting for Microsoft to update their GA Connector

David

Hi @dshaw

I hope you are doing well. I was wondering if it would be possible for us to close this thread temporarily while you are trying out the solutions provided above. Once you have made progress and require additional support, feel free to open a new thread and reach out to us again.

Thank you for your understanding and I look forward to assisting you further in the future.

1 Like

I wanted to upvote Gavin’s solution. Though it’s not a verified connector, it’s the only option available along with BigQuery.

Thanks Wassam

It is good to get that feedback from people who have already tried these solutions, or others.

Cheers

David

1 Like

Hi Jean Rose

Being new around here I guess I have to take my lead from staff and more experienced users. My thinking was it would be good to get feedback, as Wassam has done, on the methods that I have discovered, or add others if they know them.

If I have had this issue then many surely will have as well, I hoped this thread would save them some time and give them information faster than I was able to discover it myself.

I will leave it with you to decide what you believe is in the best interests of the Enterprise DNA community regarding this specific thread.

Kind regards

David

1 Like

Hi @dshaw,

I have closed this thread and marked your answer containing the research you’ve made as the solution. this way if another user experienced the same scenario and cames across this post they will be directed to the information you’ve shared.

Thank you!

Bringing Google Analytics 4 (GA4) data into Power BI is a great idea for tracking and analyzing your website’s performance. While the default connector may not support GA4 codes directly, you can explore alternatives.
One option is to use datahive360.com, which offers a specialized connector for GA4 data to Power BI.
As a newcomer to Power BI and Enterprise DNA, it’s fantastic to see your enthusiasm in seeking solutions. Don’t hesitate to ask for help or insights here on the forum; the community is usually quite helpful. I’m sure you’ll find the right solution to get your reporting dashboard up and running for your new website’s GA4 data.