Power BI Challenge 17 - Environmental Data Reporting from Fernando (Newcomer)

Here’s Fernando’s entry for Power BI Challenge 17. @fernan95, feel free to add other details of your work.

Here’s how Fernando described it:

I want to talk about the correlation of those two pages. Holding CTRL and clinking on multiple visuals, you can create multiple scenarios to see how strong the correlation is and statically predict the behavior.

For example: you can establish a correlation between the average air toxic concentration of Butadiene in the state of Maryland and the Child Asthma Prevalence in the White or Black community. After that you can insert a new average air toxic concentration of said toxin (butadiene in this case) to see how the child asthma prevalence would behave on the selected community. You can create multiple scenarios and do multiple tests.

This same thing can be done for the precipitation report.

I’ve created a category named “heavy or violent rain” based on the classification that I’ve found on wikipedia.

Ps: I don’t trust the correlation to be 100% correct. I’ve created the report to be as automatic as I could make for now (the only thing that needs to be manually updated is the year table and clicking to refresh the tables). The correlations utilizes a table that I’ve created through power query utilizing reference and other things in order to make it automatically update by each database update (I hope :sweat_smile:). There’s some nuances in it and more revision would be good.

To learn about the real-life scenario presented for the challenge, be sure to click on the image below.

This post is part of the Enterprise DNA platform improvements. Through these posts, members and non-members can showcase the resources and inspirations on how they come up with their challenge submissions. We hope all members can utilize it efficiently.

hey Fernando well done on getting involved in the challenge.

one thing that definitely sticks out to me before anything else is the fact that you’ve used the out of the box color palette. I really don’t like this and I think a simple change in theme could have made your insights stand out so much more. particularly that you had such great background imagery you could have molded your visuals and the colors of your visuals into that background and it would have made them stand out so much more.

anyway this is a simple fix and an easy thing for you to do next time because overall the insights are great and the visualizations you’ve chosen have all been wisely selected and implemented in the page. I also really like your more infoboxes and the way you’re accurately aligned all of your visualizations.

so to me this is a fantastic report with some fantastic techniques used. It’s just the colors that I think you could improve on and you would be amazed at how much more compelling this report could become quickly. take a look at Alex’s submission this time round and you’ll get what I mean

thanks for getting involved.