Power BI Challenge 14 - Emergency Services Analytics from Wan (Newcomer)

Here’s Wan’s entry for Power BI Challenge 14. @WanTeck, would you like to share how you built this dashboard and what your inspiration is in building it?

Here’s how Wan described it:

There’s many things that went through my mind with regards to the data set but Haroon’s food for thought guide

me to focus mainly on the critical aspect of getting people treated immediately as the emergency services is a

matter of Life & Death. On this note i wanted to create a Visual which shows Urgency (having been on one

myself) give me the chance to appreciate how precious time is and how stressful is the work of paramedics/hospital staff.

1. I wanted a dark background with Ambulance light flashing to depict that Urgency

2. I created a map to make users to understand the logistical challenges e.g. location/density/congestion impact on arrival time.

3. As what Mudassir Ali said to minimise the amount of slicers to improve real estate :slight_smile: as i only intend to create

only a one page report as i only had 2 days to prepare before deadline.

1. I wanted to show the importance of getting treatment urgently for cardiac arrest, lightning, allergic reaction…

so that the call handlers / hospitals can benchmark against one another. How can they improve on response time.

1. Lastly, I’m trying to paint a picture of the dedication or under appreciated at times, the work of health-care workers as

we can’t put a value to it.

Key take away

I could’ve created a ranking of Hospital by diagnosis response time / overall response time & which are the top performing 3 hospitals.

To learn about the real-life scenario presented for the challenge, be sure to click on the image below.

power-bi-chal-1

3 Likes

This post is part of the Enterprise DNA platform improvements. Through these posts, members and non-members can showcase the resources and inspirations on how they come up with their challenge submissions. We hope all members can utilize it efficiently.

OK nice one thanks for participating in the challenge.

I like how you thought outside the box here and used the map and also an interesting background. I think maybe here the background slightly detracts from the actual insights in your report mainly because of the bright lights. So whilst I love the innovation sometimes it’s better to keep the backgrounds a little bit simpler. I love it when backgrounds integrate seamlessly into the color themes that are used within the report. I think that is when they look the best.

preciate the details you’ve placed into there are visuals. I would dress up these visuals a little bit more though. Maybe you could have used data labels within the bar charts. And also on the bottom visual I think that would have been better as maybe a table or as a matrix or something with some other axes of information. I think you’ve used up a lot of real estate therefore only one insight and it could have maybe been done a little bit more creatively with some conditional formatting in a table or matrix.

Easy fixes and easy improvements so look forward to seeing more of your work and future challenges

Sam

1 Like