Power BI Challenge 14 - Emergency Services Analytics from Tim

Here’s Tim’s entry for Power BI Challenge 14. @tweinzapfel, would you like to share how you built this dashboard and what your inspiration is in building it?

Here’s the link to the report:

And here’s how Tim described it:

With every challenge, I usually set a couple of goals/new skills to accomplish. For this one:

1. I wanted to create a visual using the “Charticulator” custom visual. This is by far my favorite custom visual yet requires some learning curve. So this was a great opportunity to use this. [Visuals are on 3rd picture below; chart on right side - there are actually 3 in total although two are toggled between bookmarks]
    (@sam.mckay - perhaps a training series on Charticulator?)
  2. Given the time data – I wanted to use the “Timeline by Queryon” custom visual (credit to Brian Julius for showing this previously)

Also - with most of my visuals now going forward, I always try and add a help/information view that Guy in a Cube showed a while back (example in last picture below). And - with every report that I do - some tooltips added in here and there.

Technical details

ETL Notes

1. Added an index column in Power Query
  2. Added a category of patient ages categorize them based on age ranges
  3. For the protocol table – added a shorted one for visualization purposes.
  4. A duplicate fact table created to track call segments. This was used for the “Timeline by Queryon” custom visual

Report Features

Overall:
• Slicer panel on every page; Panel appears/disappears to save space. All slicers are synced across the pages; Filters applied are shown on the top right of each page
• Each page has an information sheet. On the left side navigation bar, there is a question mark that will toggle this (credit for this technique goes to Guy in a Cube)

Volume Analysis:
• Call Volume by month will show min and max amounts (technique was one from a WoW challenge - http://www.workout-wednesday.com/power-bi-challenges/ )
• Ambulance/Hospital matrix has tooltips to provide more detailed information

Time Analysis:
• “Charticulator” used to show averages by each segment (right side visual); there are 3 different visuals here with the top one being an overall average and then a section below to show breakdown by station. There are buttons to toggle between total time elapsed versus the individual segment averages for this lower section.

Patient Page:
• “Timelime by Queryon” used to display timeline of call. This only works well if one patient is selected. Thus a message is displayed when not. Technique for this credited to Excelerator BI (https://exceleratorbi.com.au/show-or-hide-a-power-bi-visual-based-on-selection/)

Additional credits

To learn about the real-life scenario presented for the challenge, be sure to click on the image below.

power-bi-chal-1

1 Like

This post is part of the Enterprise DNA platform improvements. Through these posts, members and non-members can showcase the resources and inspirations on how they come up with their challenge submissions. We hope all members can utilize it efficiently.

Nice one really appreciate your write up here and I’m super glad that I’m seeing you challenge yourself in all aspects of your report development. I can see you’ve tried custom visuals and unique visualization techniques. And to me most of them work here. I like how you’ve thought outside the box with your initial navigation page as well.

one thing that really sticks out here though as your colors. This is a super simple fix and to me needs to be done because you’re detracting from your great work with an odd color theme. All it should take is updating your theme with something out of maybe the analyst hubs color theme generator and sticking to simple color variations all on one color like blue or red or whatever. Using such weird colors together that also don’t integrate into your nice background image in a report page just really detract from the analysis. this is a simple change and really want to see you do that next time.

I do love many little aspects of your report here down to the dynamic text in your menu bar to these simple navigation experience that you have built on to the left hand side of each page.

Awesome stuff and thanks for participating once again Anne look forward to seeing much more.

Sam

1 Like