Power BI Challenge 10 - Supplier Insight from Craig

Here’s Craig’s entry for Power BI Challenge 10. @Craig, would you like to share how you built this dashboard and what your inspiration is in building it?

Here’s the link to the report:

To learn about the real-life scenario presented for the challenge, be sure to click on the image below.

power-bi-chal-1

This post is part of the Enterprise DNA platform improvements, through the Data Challenge our members can now share how they built their dashboard and what their inspiration is in building it. We hope all members can utilize it efficiently.

My Challenge entry was inspired exclusively by the awesome work of past entrants to the Challenge Series, the team at Enterprise DNA for providing such an excellent ‘real life”, learning experience and my personal mission to learn everything Power BI.

I believe that my visualisation skills have really gone to the next level by entering these challenges and I can see a marked improvement in my work from one challenge to the next.
Prior to the challenges, I concentrated mainly on DAX and getting the numbers correct. No small feat there, hah! However, I never really felt that DAX alone, displayed predominantly in tables told any type of story to the consumer and they certainly weren’t very engaging, either.

In my defence, I ’m an Accountant by profession and most of the accountants that I know are usually just happy to just get the numbers correct and into the accounts. So, with that admission out of the way, I hope I can be forgiven in some part for being initially a little unadventurous when it came to visualising numbers.

In this challenge, I attempted to redeem myself for these oversights. I think I unashamedly used almost every single native Power Bi visualisation available and yes, custom visuals, too. I put my inhibitions to bed and took a leap into the unknown and had so much fun doing so. Sure, I still used some tables, but they aren’t in abundance so much anymore.
There are a so many things that I am very happy about with this report. So, in closing. Thanks once again to all the past Challenge entrants for their awe-inspiring work. You’ve certainly raised the bar and help shape my ideas about what a great Power BI report should and can be, and another huge thank you to the team at Enterprise DNA for making it all happen.
Thanks all and a very Merry Xmas.

3 Likes