Power Apps and Outlook On Prem

Hi Brian,

I am looking into Power Apps and use with Power BI and Excel. In doing so, I would want to create emails to help. We currently have our Outlook Exchange Server on-premises. Can I use Power Apps to create emails to On-Premises Outlook or only to 365 Outlook? That may be a killer if that is the case.

If 365 Outlook is solution, could Power Apps bounce an email out of 365 Outlook to the on-premises Outlook once received.

Just trying to look at options before I get into too much education and training.

Thanks for your help.

Richard

@RBDport ,

Unfortunately, I don’t know the answer to your question, but am looping in our most knowledgeable Power Platform experts (@henry.habib , @MudassirAli , @alexbadiu, @JarrettM ) to see if thy can provide some insight into this issue

• Brian
1 Like

@RBDport I have only used PowerApps inside Office 365 environment however, PowerApps do support Outlook.com connector. If for any reason you are unable to generate emails from PowerApps to On-Premise Outlook, you can use Power Automate to do so. With Power Automate, you can even send emails to your personal accounts like gmail, yahoo or hotmail account.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
Mudassir

Hi @RBDport,

As far as I know, there’s only an Office 365 outlook connector available in the power platform so you’ll need a M365 subscription for that. But then you can send an email to any valid email address…

Don’t think MSFT allows you to create a single “service account” in M365 to handle email for everyone because everywhere in the documentation it reads: “This is not shareable connection. If the power app is shared with another user, another user will be prompted to create new connection explicitly.”
But I’m sure @henry.habib can confirm that…

And finally here you can read on how to connect to Office 365 Outlook from Power Apps

I hope this is helpful

1 Like

Hi @RBDport, we’ve noticed that no response has been received from you since a few days ago.

We just want to check if you still need further help with this post?

In case there won’t be any activity on it in the next few days, we’ll be tagging this post as Solved.

Hello @RBDport, it’s been a while since we got a response from you. In case there won’t be any activity on it in the next few days, we’ll be tagging this post as Solved.

Hi Mudassir,

Thanks for your help. Just to confirm. So with Power Automate, I can set up a flow to send emails when some event happens to On-Premises email accounts? If so, that will work for me. Thanks.

Richard

Hi Melissa,

Thanks for the reply. If I use Office 365 outlook to receive an email from a flow condition, could I set up another flow to send to On-Premises email. Or within Outlook set up a rule or something to forward any emails to the persons On-Premises Outlook account? If so, that may work.

Thanks,

Richard

Yes and yes. But if the email has been send by a flow why not have that flow send it directly to the intended audience?

Hi Melissa,

I don’t want others to have to go to an email service outside of the On-Premises Outlook to get their emails. So, within the Office 365 outlook I would set it up to forward to On-Premises Outlook. From what you said, the flow can not send to On-Premises Outlook directly. I see that @MudassirAli says Power Automate can send an email from a flow request directly to the On-Premises Outlook. If that is true, that seems to be the way to go.

Sorry, for the questions, but I am new to Power Apps and Power Automate. I did one Microsoft Flow with Power Bi a few years ago.

I just don’t want to waste my time in designing a project if I can’t send the emails for specific alerts (directly or otherwise) to their On-Premises Outlook account.

Thanks for your help.

Richard

@RBDport I have seen on different forum posts that people have tried to use on-premises Exchange as SMTP server to send email notifications. As I have never used Office Apps outside of office environment but I do send automated emails to my personalized email addresses using Power Automate.

I can confirm you shortly from people who have tried to make it before.

Stay tuned!

Hello @RBDport, just following up if the responses above help you solve your inquiry?

If not, how far did you get and what kind of help you need further? If yes, kindly mark as solution the answer that solved your query

Hi @RBDport, due to inactivity, a response on this post has been tagged as “Solution”. If you have any concern related to this topic, you can create a new thread.