PBI Service connect to PostgreSql - Security certificate error

Hi

I am trying to get scheduled refresh in PBI Service from a PostgreSql database on Amazon AWS but I get the message below. (This all works from PBI Desktop absolutely fine.)

Unable to update this data source’s credentials.
Unable to connect to the data source.

Details:

Game Pi: An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'Npgsql.Tls.ClientAlertException: CertificateUnknown: Server certificate was not accepted. Chain status: A certificate chain processed, but terminated in a root certificate which is not trusted by the trust provider.

at Npgsql.Tls.TlsClientStream.SendAlertFatal(AlertDescription description, String message)

at Npgsql.Tls.TlsClientStream.ParseCertificateMessage(Byte[] buf, Int32& pos)

at Npgsql.Tls.TlsClientStream.TraverseHandshakeMessages()

at Npgsql.Tls.TlsClientStream.d__43.MoveNext()

— End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown —

at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()

at

bumping this post

HI @PaulBoyes - Please check this post. It talks about similar issue that you are facing.

Thanks
Ankit J

1 Like

Hi @PaulBoyes, did the response provided by @ankit help in solving your query? If not, how far did you get and what kind of help you need further? If yes, kindly mark as solution the answer that solved your query.

Hi
Actually it did help as deploying the ODBC option got around the problem.

Rehards

Paul

@PaulBoyes could you please elaborate on how you “deployed the ODBC option” for the PowerBI Service? I am running into this same issue in PowerBI Service (not in PowerBI Desktop)