Pareto chart // R or Python viz to use?

Hello there,

Rather than create a Pareto chart myself I was hoping that perhaps the R or Python standard libraries have one. Has anyone got one in perticular to suggest?

Nice to Have
Of (visual) importance I would like to be able to “bucket” the long tail of my dataset. For example, if show the customers where 80% of my sales ones from but group the remaining into one bar… don’t worry if I’m not making sense. It’s a nice to have anyhow.

@michellepace,

I think the QCC package for R produces a nice Pareto chart quite easily:

https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/qcc/vignettes/qcc_a_quick_tour.html#pareto-chart

I hope this is helpful.

– Brian

PS - I’m still dying to know what the outcome of the jitterplot showdown was?

1 Like

Hi Brian,

Thank you for your reply. Goodness this chart is a blast from the past back in my Minitab days! For the dotplot, it was a side little project and I put it on hold. I’m hoping to get back into it toward the end of next week. I haven’t forgotten and the thread is book marked right at the top of my list for sure! I’ll put back there as soon as I have the answer.

Best wishes,
Michelle

Jeez, MInitab! I haven’t used that in 30 years - didn’t even know it still existed.

I was talking with @bradsmith yesterday, and he mentioned that the Plotly package in R and Python produces graphics that look better in Power BI than the ones produced in ggplot2 or other packages like QCC. Definitely worth taking a look at.

• Brian

Yes, yes Minitab is alive and kicking. I still read their monthly newsletter. Seems to me everything Minitab can do has now been coined “Machine Learning.” Haha, who would have ever thought statistics would become all the rage.

Thank you as always Brian : )

@michellepace,

Seems to me everything Minitab can do has now been coined “Machine Learning.” Haha, who would have ever thought statistics would become all the rage.

Reminds me of this: :grinning:

• Brian
2 Likes

hahah! thats one for the office for sure.