Order of evaluation of visuals

Hi @sam.mckay,
I’m optimizing a dashboard developers filled with around 100 cards :slightly_frowning_face:
So I fired up the Performance analyzer to show them how much the waiting time in queue for processing (Other) is affecting the overall dashboard performance.
Here is my question: I didn’t find how Power BI queues visuals for processing. I thought it was the Z-order, but apparently, it is not the case.
Where I can find this information and is it possible the order of evaluation?

Thanks

Roberto

1 Like

Hello @Roberto,

Thank You for posting your query onto the Forum.

Just few days back SQLBI guys released a video pertaining to the topic - “Optimizing card visuals in slow Power BI reports”. Below is the link of the video provided for the reference.

Hoping this helps you to improve the performance in your Power BI report.

Thanks and Warm Regards,
Harsh

3 Likes

Hi @Roberto,

AFAIK it’s not possible to set the order of visual evaluation.
Decreasing the number of Cards can have a significate impact, hopefully small multiples an option.

See these related articles.

I hope this is helpful.

2 Likes

When you find 100 cards on a page you can also have a lot of visual elements as well: Titles, text, images, lines etc. In addition to the ideas where you can replace cards with matrix, or small multiples, you can also build a PowerPoint image that contains all those additional visual elements.
The final goal is to reduce as much as possible the number of elements on that page.

3 Likes

Thanks @Harsh, I went through this very useful video. Unfortunately, the number of cards used is just overwhelming, but SQLBI provide a very good approach.

1 Like

Hi @alexbadiu, that’s exactly what I’m doing. I had found this solution in the Financial Report showcase Financial Reporting w/ Power BI

1 Like

Hi @Melissa thanks for the answer.
I have been googling and actually, I didn’t find nor how the evaluation order is set and if it’s possible to change it either.
Links will be useful all the same, anyway. Thanks for that.
I’m working on both visuals side (reducing the number using matrix) and improve the DAX code.I found Optimizing DAX is a very valuable chapter.

Thanks again

Roberto

2 Likes

Have you thought about using tables instead of cards? We had a report with several KPI cards and with all the format features tables now have it was an easy swap with a big performance win

Hi @cmalone1112, that’s exactly what I’m doing, moving measures from cards to matrix wrapping in some code. I had found a very nice showcase using this technique in Financial Reporting w/ Power BI
Unfortunately, I found 92! cards fixing all this will be a chore.

Thanks for your suggestion

Regards

Roberto