No Power BI dataset connector for thin report?

Hi,
Following best practice advice, I’m in the process of splitting a PBIX report into a dataset and a thin report. I’ve published the dataset and removed all queries from the report. Now I expected to Get Data and choose the Power BI dataset or semantic model connector (as demonstrated in a YouTube video by Havens Consulting, but that connector isn’t available.

If I create a new report, I do see a connector (shown below)
but not in in the existing report.

Without the connector’s availability, does anyone know another way to create a live connection to an existing report that avoids having to recreate every page, bookmarks and filters?

Regards,
Julie

HI @JulieCarignan,

I’m just wondering if the preview feature option isn’t check off for the file.

Using the EDNA AI tool within the Enterprise DNA platform: this is what came up:

Connecting to a Published Power BI Dataset in Power BI Desktop

If the Power BI dataset or semantic model connector is not available when trying to connect to a published dataset in Power BI Desktop, you can use the following alternative approach to create a live connection without having to recreate all elements:

Connecting to Published Dataset using Power BI XMLA Endpoint

1. Open Power BI Desktop.
  2. Go to “File” > “Options and settings” > “Options”.
  3. In the “Options” dialog, go to “Preview features” and check the box for “XMLA endpoints”.
  4. Click “OK” and restart Power BI Desktop.
  5. Click on “Get Data” > “Analysis Services” and enter the URL of your Power BI XMLA endpoint.
  6. Connect to the dataset and select the tables you want to use in your report.
  7. Build your report using the tables from the connected dataset.

Preserving Report Elements

By connecting to the published dataset using the XMLA endpoint, you can retain existing report elements such as pages, bookmarks, and filters. This approach eliminates the need to recreate these elements in a new report.

Summary

By leveraging the Power BI XMLA endpoint feature, you can establish a live connection to a published dataset in Power BI Desktop and effectively work with the dataset without rebuilding all report elements.

Please see if this help.

DataMentor and EDNA AI tools built in the Platform can also help with a solution.

thanks
Keith

Thank you, Keith.

It’s good to know that the new XMLA endpoint feature exists and can be used for this use case.

I also discovered the reason the Power BI semantic model connector wasn’t available.

I had deleted all of the queries, but I hadn’t opened the Model View and deleted any tables still remaining there, for example in this case the measures table was left behind.

Once I deleted that table, the option to get data from the dataset became available.

Julie

HI @JulieCarignan

Can you please explain the reason why the connector wasn’t available so others can learn too.

Can you also put the link for the video that Havens Consulting posted for a reference?

thanks
Keith

Hello,
Here’s the link to the brief video in which Havens Consulting shows how to split a dataset and report from a single PBIX file into separately published entities: Splitting a Power BI (PBIX) File into a Dataset and Lean Report File.

After publishing the dataset (aka semantic model), to create the thin report you must delete all the queries and all tables, then connect live to the semantic model.

Where I went wrong that caused the connector to the Power BI semantic model to not appear is that I failed to check the Model View in Power BI so didn’t notice that a Measures table was still there. Only after all tables are be deleted from the report will the option to connect to the semantic model become available.

Hope that helps,
Julie

1 Like

thanks for adding the further explanation. :slight_smile:
Keith