New look app and landing page

Hi there,

We are in the process of converting our main reporting app to use the New Navigation Builder, which will allow us to group our reports into sub-folders (Sections).

It seems to be that when using the new navigation builder, that the top report is opened by default when the user goes to the app. We would prefer that instead the users goes to a ‘Welcome to App’ landing page. This would be a Power BI report, but one which purely contains text and graphics detailing the reports contained within. Something like the below:

What I would really like, is for the user to be able to click on one of the report names on the screen, which are simply Buttons with a URL link and for the relevant report to open up.

However, when I take the Report Link, for the Navigation Builder page and apply to a button, the user is taken to the report, but in a new browser window.

Does anyone know how I can make it so that the link opens in the current window?

Thanks

Mark

Thanks for posting your question @Mark. To receive a resolution in a timely manner please make sure that you provide all the necessary details on this thread.

Here is a potential list of additional information to include in this thread; demo pbix file, images of the entire scenario you are dealing with, screenshot of the data model, details of how you want to visualize a result, and any other supporting links and details.

Including all of the above will likely enable a quick solution to your question.

Hi @Mark,

For some better understanding of this, Can you please me with more details like:

1. Are all of the reports in a single Power BI file or multiple?
  2. If single file, then rather than using URL links in the Button’s Action, why don’t you use bookmarks or page navigation capabilities?

Also, if you can provide me with some sample file then I can get more understanding of how it is setup.

Thanks
Shubham

Hi @skathuria,

Thanks for looking at this. In answer to your question, no the reports are not in a single file. This is regarding a publish app which contains 10+ Power BI reports.

When you publish an app, using the relatively new Navigation Builder, you have to pick a report which the app defaults to. Instead of picking a business specific report, we instead wanted the user to see a Welcome page, listing all the reports in the app. This ‘Welcome Page’ is in itself a very basic pbix file, just containing text about the reports in the app and which will be the default report for the Navigation Builder.

In this Welcome Page pbix, we want to add report links to the descriptions, so the user can either use the navigation in the left panel to open a report, or click on the link of the welcome page. However, when I add a URL link to a report, it launches in a new browser window.

Thanks

Mark

I’m not sure if this is possible, generally links in reports are not intended to navigate the user away from the required report.

In my testing, I was able to create a dashboard and use that as the front page of a published app. The downside to this is that you would have to use a visual from each report on your dashboard. And you have less control over the final layout.

This link in the community forum has a suggestion for filtering via URL - but it appears that you are still dealing with opening in a new window: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/URL-Action-Open-in-same-window/td-p/940870

In one of my Apps, I have a simple PBIX that acts as an information file (how to on filtering, etc) - and it has instructions for the user on navigating via the left menu panel. Perhaps in this instance it would be easier to retrain the user?

There are apparently a handful of requests for this feature (or one like it) in the Ideas forum
https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/search-ideas/?q=url%20in%20report%20opens%20to%20new%20window

1 Like

Hi @Heather

Thank you for your detailed reply!

It does look like what I am after is not currently available - hopefully a new option to allow URL inks to open in the same window may come about in the future as it appears to be requested quite a bit.

I think for now, we will leave it as an information file -sounds like you have done the same too.

Mark

Yes @Mark, here is a snapshot of my ‘info page’ for one of my apps - this is designed for a group of users that might have new members on a fairly regular basis, so stands as a reminder to their training. First screenshot is the default view, next screenshot is with one of the buttons clicked for more info.

the Blue panel on left (referenced in first screenshot) is the App navigation panel

3 Likes

Looks great Heather

1 Like