Mixing datasets

The challenge is to be able to add a page to a report that shows data from a different dataset.

We have dataset Sales
We have a report that links to dataset Sales

We have a dataset based around CRM and other systems
We have reports around the CRM system and sales plans

Now the two datasets may contain calendars, countries, products they are spposed to be the same but they come from two different sources and I know they are at best slightly different.

The requirement has come in to put a page based on the CRM data set into the Sales report. I understand what they want and I see the advantage of this approach.

1. I dont want to mix the data sets. To quote Ghostbusters “Don’t cross the streams”
  2. Potentially I could add to the current app but as it is only one App per workspace this is not a futureproof move.
  3. Adding in just what is required wont work as the kry dimensions are all different

The only thing I could think of was a web URL but this will be hard to maintain when moving through the environments?

Is it possible to create a massive App with easy navigation?
Thanks
E

Dont see an easy way forward at the moment

Is it possible to create a massive App with easy navigation?

The simple answer is YES :slight_smile:

The app shown below is large (over 15 reports) and reports pull from one of three datasets

Some of the reports include cross-report drill-through, while others have that function disabled (they can only drill into a report that uses the same dataset)

Some of the reports have only one page, others have multiple. And I have some reports in this app that appear to have only one page - but all of the pages are hidden and accessible via buttons only.

1 Like

@Heather
Thanks
after interrogatting the customers it transpires that they need to add extra data to the original data set as they need to interrogate by the dimensions in the first data set.
What started off as just add a page has turned into a lot more.
Thanks
E

1 Like

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: We’ve all been there - good luck with the project

1 Like

I looked at the forum, on the main page - little information.
I recommend read this article https://merehead.com/blog/build-crm-system-for-enterprise/

@ells,

There are other options, but you’ll need to weigh the pros and cons of each based on your needs, the technical landscape, and the resources available. Some solutions might be more feasible than others depending on your current setup and future plans.

You might want to consider:

Composite Models. This way, you can create a single report that pulls from both the Sales and CRM datasets without having to import one into the other. This can allow for a seamless experience while keeping the datasets separate.

Dataflows. Dataflows allow ETL processes to be defined and run in the service. By using Dataflows, you can ensure that the key dimensions from both datasets are unified, while keeping the raw datasets separate.

Shared Datasets. If there are common dimensions (like calendars, countries, products) that are slightly different between the two datasets, consider creating a reference dataset that standardizes these dimensions. This shared dataset can be used across multiple reports.

Dashboard. Instead of integrating at the report level, you can create a dashboard that includes key visuals from both the Sales and CRM reports. This would provide a high-level view of both datasets, and users can drill down into the specific report if needed.

Review Data Architecture. While it’s a larger task, it might be worth revisiting the data architecture and integration strategy. If there are two datasets with overlapping dimensions, it might be beneficial in the long run to consider how data is sourced and integrated to provide a more unified view without duplicating efforts.