Mixed Reality and Power BI

Hi all,

Does anyone have experience with mixed reality and power bi? I have read about applications where power bi visuals are placed virtual in the physical world by using a HoloLens. In the railways I am thinking, for example, of maintenance data on train equipment for engineers etc. A mixed reality journey through the data can also be interesting for office staff.

Daniel

@uriah1977,

I don’t have any personal experience with this technology, but I remember seeing an incredible demo at MBAS 2019 of how a truck manufacturer is employing MR using Hololens and a Microsoft product called Guides to train workers in how to assemble truck components. I found the YouTube video of the demo (starts around the 50 minute mark), which I think you’ll find pretty interesting and hopefully relevant to your issue:

• Brian

@BrianJ

Thanks for the link. These are great developments and Guides also seems like a great innovative product.

Daniel

@uriah1977,

I just thought of one other thing that might be worth checking out. I just took the Microsoft Powerapps App in a Day Course last week. They showed how you could embed a Powerapp within a PowerBI report and vice versa. Powerapps has some very slick MR capabilities, so that may a relatively easy and inexpensive way of incorporating MR into Power BI. If you’re already licensed for O365, you should have access to a limited version of PowerApps that allows you to create “Canvas” apps (one of the 3 types of Powerapps, along with Common Data Service (CDS) and “Model” apps). I think Canvas apps are the type you would use for the MR integration.

I would be really interested to hear where you end up going with this MR effort - I don’t know anyone else who’s tried it yet.

• Brian

@BrianJ,

I am also curious about where this will lead. In these difficult times, every company wants immediate returns, which is understandable. That is why I am not sure whether these developments are valuable at this point.

I am an O365 consultant and we sometimes create apps with PowerApps. Mostly canvas apps (We don’t have a Common Data Service at our company). I’m going to take a closer look at the MR capabilities on the PowerApps side. If there is something in there that is worthwhile, I will give you an update, otherwise the time is not right yet.

Daniel

1 Like

@uriah1977,

Check out this video at the 2:40 mark - Power BI/Hololens integration in exactly the scenario you were talking about!

• Brian

@BrianJ,

Cool! Thanks. It sure has potential. Maybe needs a little more time.

Daniel