Mirroring Slicer Selections

Hi Brian

Apologies for the incomplete information.

This is what I want to do…
I have a slicer panel that can show when the user press on the menu image and can be hidden when not needed. In the slicer panel, I have date, region and country slicers. When the slicer panel is hidden, I want to be able to inform the user that there are slicers selected and the name of the selected field. Can you guide me on how to do that? So the label would show for example "Performance for South Asia - India from 1 April 2021 to 31 May 2021 (whatever is in the slicer) and if nothing is selected then it would show All.

@BM_Girlracer,

Since this was a fundamentally new requirement/question on an existing closed thread I moved it to a new open thread to give it more exposure (many of the folks who provide solution on the forum primarily pay attention to open threads).

In terms of your specific question, I would recommend looking at EDNA Expert @Greg’s excellent submission on Data Challenge #3. In that submission, he uses a great technique at the bottom for mirroring the user’s slicer choices. This technique works well for standard slicers, popout slicer panels like you are describing and even slicer synced across multiple pages.

You can download the PBIX file from the Data Challenge Showcase section of the portal site.

I hope this is helpful.

– Brian

P.S. I spoke with Greg about this, and he reminded me that @sam.mckay did a video based on this technique from Greg’s challenge entry:

1 Like

Thanks! I will check it out :slight_smile:

Hi @BM_Girlracer did the response provided by @BrianJ help you solve your query? If not, how far did you get and what kind of help you need further? If yes, kindly mark as solution the answer that solved your query.

I hope that you are having a great experience using the Support Forum so far. Kindly take time to answer the Enterprise DNA Forum User Experience Survey, we hope you’ll give your insights on how we can further improve the Support forum. Thanks!

Hi @BM_Girlracer, we’ve noticed that no response has been received from you since the 16th of June. We just want to check if you still need further help with this post? In case there won’t be any activity on it in the next few days, we’ll be tagging this post as Solved.

Hi @BM_Girlracer, due to inactivity, a response on this post has been tagged as “Solution”. If you have a follow question or concern related to this topic, please remove the Solution tag first by clicking the three dots beside Reply and then untick the check box.

Hello,

I can’t seem to find the PBIX file related to the video. Can someone please share? Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

@BM_Girlracer you can fins the files related to the challenges inside the Power BI Challenge Showcase within the portal.

Here is a direct link for the Challeng #3 lecture- https://portal.enterprisedna.co/courses/1090000/lectures/23984256

1 Like

Hi,

The sample PBIX doesn’t show the selected date from the slicer. Can you please guide me on how to show the selected date from slicers? similar to the other slicer information?

The technique is similar to what you are seeing in that PBIX, you just have to tweak it a bit to work with date ranges.

I adjusted the “Outcomes” measure on the PBIX to demonstrate this:

Outcomes = 
VAR _StartDate = MINX( Dates, Dates[Date] )
VAR _EndDate = MAXX( Dates, Dates[Date] )
VAR _AllDates = 
    IF( 
        _StartDate = MINX( ALL( Dates ), Dates[Date]) 
        && _EndDate = MAXX( ALL( Dates ), Dates[Date] ), 
            "All Dates", 
            "na" )
RETURN
    IF( _AllDates = "na", _StartDate & " - " & _EndDate, _AllDates )

and on testing, here is the result:

2 Likes

Thanks! :blush:

2 Likes