Map Visual for "Placing Dynamic Maps in Tooltips" video

Hey Everyone,

I am a couple of months new here! First forum post. Thank you Sam and everyone for taking my PowerBI skills from 0 to 100 in a few months!

I really loved the most recent video “Placing Dynamic Maps in Tooltips”, which I think is a game changer! Does anyone know how to get that specific Map Visualization? It is not in my Visualization pane.

Thanks Everyone!

1 Like

Hello @Jordan.Petty,

Thank You for posting your query onto the Forum.

Is this the type of result that you’re looking for? Below is the screenshot provided for the reference -

You can use the simple maps which are available in your Visualizations pane.

I’ve used the simple “Map” option available under it.

Also attaching the working of PBIX file for the reference.

Hoping you find this useful and meets your requirements. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks and Warm Regards,
Harsh

Tooltip In Map Visualization - Harsh.pbix (661.4 KB)

Hello @Jordan.Petty,

Below are the steps provided in general for the reference -

Step 1: Add a new page >> Give the page name as “Tooltips” and hide the page (Hiding the page is
optional part).

Step 2: Set the Page size as “Tooltip” >> Go to the “View Tab” and under the “Page View” option select “Actual size” option.

Step 3: Select any maps that you want to see from the “Visualizations” pane (In my case, as I’ve said earlier, I’ve selected simple “Map” option) >> drag the locations or latitude and longitud field that you’ve in your locations table and then drag the metric that you want to see. (In my case it’s “Total Sales”)

Step 4: Under the “Page Information” option of the “Tooltips” page >> enable the “Tooltip” option.

Step 5: Now come to the 1st Page (or whichever page) where your analysis is situated >> Click on the visualization to in which you desire to show the map as a tooltip >> Go to the “Format” option >> Enable the “Tooltip” option >> And under that go to the “Page Category” option and change the option from “Auto” to “Tooltips”.

Step 6: Hover over the visualization and you shall have the desired result.

Hoping you find this steps useful and helps you to incorporate in your analysis or practice. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks and Warm Regards,
Harsh

1 Like

Hi @Jordan.Petty, a response on this post has been tagged as “Solution”. If you have a follow question or concern related to this topic, please remove the Solution tag first by clicking the three dots beside Reply and then untick the check box. Also, we’ve recently launched the Enterprise DNA Forum User Experience Survey, please feel free to answer it and give your insights on how we can further improve the Support forum. Thanks!

This is the Map Visual I am talking about… Sam was using it in his most recent video. Is this a custom visual from the marketplace? I did not see it.

Hello @Jordan.Petty,

Well the map used in the video is called as “Shape Map” visual. It’s available under the " Preview Features ". Below are the steps provided to enable this map into the " Visualizations " pane.

1. Go to the " File " tab.

2. Select the " Options and Settings " option.

3. Under that select the " Options " menu.

4. Select the " Preview Features " option.

5. Check mark the " Shape Map Visual ".

6. Click on " OK " and restart the Power BI, if required.

Once you restart the Power BI (if required), you shall have this map into your " Visualizations " pane.

Enable Shape Map Visual - 2

Hoping you find this steps useful and meets your requirements that you’re looking for. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks and Warm Regards,
Harsh

Yes it’s just the shape map visual.

You need to make sure you have state names in a dimension to add to it.

You can select different maps from the paint roller section. You’ll find USA there.

Sam