Learning Path - What is the correct course Order

Hi,

I am going to start on the Power BI Data Analyst learning path, but which order should the courses be done?

Right now I have this as the top 3 courses:
1.Ultimate Beginners Guide To DAX - beginner
2. Power BI Super Users Workshop - Beginner
3. Mastering DAX Calculations - Intermediate

Bottom 3:
10.Currencies Analysis - Intermediate
11. Exam PL-300: Microsoft Power BI Data Analyst - Intermediate
12. Beginners Guide to Power BI - Beginner

No matter which end I start with, the order seems wrong.

The intro in Ultimate Beginners Guide To DAX also starts with referring to Beginners Guide to Power BI. But if I start at the bottom (12), then I get DAX intermediate course before beginner, which also is wrong.

1 Like

HI there,

I believe some of the courses was added after the fact. Beginners Guide to Power BI - Beginner was added in May 2023 so thats likely why its at the bottom of the list. All I did and review the listing and did the courses in the order i thought it would be.

I hope this helps.
Keith

2 Likes

Approaching what skills employers need to see:

For over 13 years an aged Post-It note has remained on the glass board in my office listing the top eight skills for data analysts that have remained unchanged since the launch of the Excel BI stack: Power Pivot, Power View, and Power Maps (and now Power Query and Power BI). This journey has led many individuals, whether directly or indirectly, to become data analysts who wanted to report on information:

• Data cleaning and preparation
  • Data analysis and exploration
  • Statistical knowledge
  • Creating data visualizations
  • Creating dashboards and reports
  • Writing and communication
  • Domain knowledge
  • Problem-solving

Well I recommend you to start with these two first

1. Power BI Super Users Workshop - Beginner
  2. Mastering DAX Calculations - Intermediate

By this you will get a fair idea about Power BI.

Later you can learn Data modeling, after that go with certification.

Don’t forget to share your learning experience with us so that you keep motivated during the entire learning journey.

All the very best :slight_smile:

Cheers :clinking_glasses:

Aha. That explains it. :slight_smile:

I’ll start with the two recommended. I also found another post about this, but its from 2018. I’ll probably take a few tips from that, too, and figure out which ones to take when.
Here is the post if anyone else finds this thread: Enterprise DNA Online Courses - Recommended Order

Thanks for the help guys! :slight_smile:

@MartinO

I completed PowerBI Data Analyst Path for some time…

If I need to put all that courses in some kind of order order :

• Begginers Guide with PowerBI - to get brief intro of PBI overview
  • Power BI SuperUser Workshop - to get more PBI overview
  • some parts of Exam PL-300: Microsoft Power BI Data Analyst (to get more details of some parts of process) - it’s not just preparation for exam, some parts are explained and help you to understand better certain topics + → Discover data analysis (as Intro of different data roles)
  • Report Development Best Practices Checklist - to get overview of process
  • Ultimate beginers guide to DAX - to get brief intro of DAX
  • Mastering DAX Calculation - intermediate level of DAX
  • DAX Formula Patterns
  • Labs for practice : Custom Financial Year, Currencies Analysis
  • Mastering Report Development - Start to Finish
  • What If" Analysis
  • Scenario Analysis Deep Dive - practical examples of What if
  • more of Exam PL-300: Microsoft Power BI Data Analys
    -Administering Power BI in the Service

What I also find very useful but it is not included in this learning part :

• Dashboarding & Data visualization intense (it’s not just about visualization and dashboarding but also you can see different analytics techniques, styles a and find out different DAX patterns and ideas how to use PowerBI)

Hope you enjoy it and good luck

For your Power BI Data Analyst learning path to go with some semblance of effectiveness and logical order with what you’ve listed in terms of the courses specifically, you need to organize it so that there is some grounding in the basics of Power BI itself before moving into more specialized or advanced topics like DAX.

Given your list, here’s a rearranged order that might make more sense for a coherent learning journey:

Beginners Guide to Power BI - Beginner: This is a great entry point for starting with Power BI. It will take you from the very beginning of use—navigating the platform, connecting to your data, and building your first very basic reports and dashboards. Overall, this is one course that is a must before getting started with much more in-depth courses like DAX.

Ultimate Beginners Guide To DAX - Beginner: By now, you have garnered some basic understanding of Power BI. At this point, we are going to get deeper into DAX, which is quite fundamental at the time of creating calculations and building more dynamic reports in Power BI. Starting off with an introduction to DAX for beginners after you are done with familiarizing yourself with Power BI will help in cushioning the learning curve.

Mastering Data with Complex Rules - Intermediate: Building off of the first course to take one from only a basic understanding of DAX and go further into a deeper understanding and ability to use DAX for more complex data modeling and calculations, this is an intermediate-level course. The course is for those who want to start using data analytics in Microsoft Excel and are familiar with its basic functionality.

Power BI Super Users Workshop — Beginner: This course is probably going to be much more in-depth than the others in terms of functionality within Power BI—outside of DAX—so it’s a good one for the middle of your learning path. This will allow you to expand your Power BI skills to further areas for more specific applications and analysis.

Currency Analysis - Intermediate: With those awesome skills now comfortably in your Power BI and DAX tool belt, it’s time to turn your attention to drilling into some niche subject areas. We thought we’d start with currency analysis, something that might well apply many of the skills you’ve developed so far but in a slightly different context.

PL-300 Exam: Microsoft Power BI Data Analyst - Intermediate: Capstone: The course is forwarded as an advancement to students in preparation for the official Microsoft certification exam. It’s a detailed review of your Power BI knowledge in skills for data analysis, data modeling, data visualization, and deployment of reports.

In fact, rearranging these modules makes a lot of sense: learning the very basics of Power BI at first and then being able to dive more thoroughly into DAX in a very isolated context, and then applying this skill in more focused contexts—with certification preparation last. Each step builds upon the last one in order to take you forward with your understanding of completing Power BI as a powerful platform towards effective data analysis in a solid, comprehensive way.

It seems like the course order you’ve been provided with might be a bit mixed up. Let’s rearrange them in a more logical order:

Beginner Level:

1. Beginners Guide to Power BI - This should serve as your foundational course to understand the basics of Power BI, its interface, functionalities, and how to create simple reports and dashboards.
  2. Ultimate Beginners Guide To DAX - After getting familiar with Power BI basics, you can delve into DAX, the formula language used in Power BI for creating custom calculations and expressions.
  3. Power BI Super Users Workshop - This workshop should build upon your understanding of Power BI and DAX, offering more hands-on experience and advanced techniques for data analysis and visualization.

Intermediate Level:

1. Mastering DAX Calculations - Once you have a solid grasp of DAX basics, you can move on to mastering more advanced DAX calculations and functions to enhance your analytical capabilities.
  2. Currencies Analysis - This course can be tackled after you’ve gained proficiency in DAX and Power BI usage. It focuses on specific analysis techniques related to currencies, which can be useful for certain types of business scenarios.
  3. Exam PL-300: Microsoft Power BI Data Analyst - This should be taken towards the end of your learning path, once you feel confident in your Power BI skills and DAX knowledge. It’s a certification exam that validates your expertise as a Power BI Data Analyst.

By following this revised order, you’ll progress from foundational concepts to more advanced topics in a logical and structured manner. Feel free to adjust the order based on your learning preferences and goals, but ensure you have a solid understanding of the basics before moving on to more complex topics.