InfoRiver v ProfitBase for Financial Statements

We are looking to use a custom visual or add-on to format the financial statements after tehy ave been produced using DAX. MAinly want to show negative amoutns as positive, have subtotals, format correctly etc. With some research I believe either ProfitBase of InfoRiver will suit our needs.
Does anyone have experience with one or either, are they worthwhile purchasing, and is there a preference for one over another?

2 Likes

Hi @KenC

I don’t know so much about ProfitBase but what I’ve seen (and I’ve played around with it a little) of InfoRiver is really impressive. There is obviously a cost involved, same with Zebra BI.

@FPastor has used it far more than I have, he may well have some useful insight.

Thanks

David

2 Likes

@KenC

I have worked a little bit with inforiver, IMO, it is the best and easiest tool for financial analysis. It is Excel in Power BI but a “Supercharge Excel”.

Tons of functionality, the funtionality you are refering to with negative and positive number is there in inforiver at the click of a button, totals/subtotal place where ever you want to…drag columns/rows up and left/right/up/down easily. It is IBCS compliance and offer a series of excellent templates ready to be used with no complications. Learning curve, if you are familiar with Excel should be no problem for you at all, just some adaptability and find where all is within the tool.

There is a new release coming at some point in May, introducing KPIs, Charts, time intel and some other features.

In my view a gem of a tool, I will not hesitate to chose inforiver over any other tool, currently, in the market .

Let me know if you would like me to refer you to my contacts

I hope this helps,

Kind regards,

Federico Pastor
PS.

3 Likes

Hi @KenC

I wrote a blog on this subject just a couple of weeks ago. Check out this link..

Basically if you want a no frills free visual then Profitbase is the way to go. They do have paid version but most of the functionality is available in the free one. If you want excel functionality, forecasting, budgeting etc etc then Inforiver would be my choice, but writing back data to a database comes at a high cost.

When I was developing financial reporting for my previous employer, we needed to keep costs down. 40 users brings a high cost with Zebra and Inforiver, so went with Profitbase.

I’m also using ProfitBase when developing financial apps for customers. It does a good job and it’s free.
Check out link here for an some examples.

Pete

4 Likes

Hi @KenC

I have no experience with Inforiver at that moment but I would definitely not recommend free version of ProfitBase matrix for financial purposes.

ProfitBase has a great potential to be very effective tool, from my perspective however it has too much flaws and thereby it’s sometimes difficult to maintain (e.g. sometimes it requires to rebuild some formatting options which might be extremely time consuming). I could give a few other points if it will be needed.

If pricing is a relevant factor in that case, I would rather try to incorporate a little more advanced dax techniques (P&L template etc.). Other way, even If I’m not familar with Inforiver - I would give it a shot instead of taking risk with ProfitBase.

Nevertheless, that’s my personal opinion on ProfitBase, based on real life scenarios though.
Still believe that ProfitBase will be very powerfull tool if some bugs will be fixed.

All best!

2 Likes

@KenC , @Gustaw

Shame Gustaw had a bad experience with ProfitBase. Works absolutely fine for me

Pete

1 Like

Thanks for the information Federico, very helpful.

2 Likes

Thanks Pete, you blog was very informative. We have been using free version of Profitbase but now user wants $000 rounded down so need to go to a paid custom visual.
Ken

1 Like

Hi Ken

You can work round thousands with a bit of DAX and a disconnected table.
See spreadsheet for table. Bring this into model and make a slicer out of it.

Then you need a measure, something along the lines of:
DIVIDE([MEASURE] , SELECTEDVALUE(ThousandsTable[Value]),1)

This will give user option of round 000 or not

Pete
RoundThousands.xlsx (9.6 KB)

2 Likes

Hi @KenC, did the response provided by the users and experts help you solve your query? If not, how far did you get and what kind of help you need further? If yes, kindly mark as solution the answer that solved your query. Thanks!