I'm stuck on counting the number of customers!

Hello Team,

I have another problem which has been difficult to resolve and I need your help!

I have created a measure that shows the 80/20 rule for sales and it works well.

The issue is that I would like to put a call out card stating the number of customers that the 80/20 rule has generated.

The problem is that when I use a card it counts all of our customers not just the 80/20 customers.

I have tried count rows but its not working so well.

Can someone please help me?

Hello @dean.alley,

Thank You for posting your query onto the Forum.

You can try out the formulas given below to count the 20% of Customers that contribute to your 80% of the Sales -

Total Customers = DISTINCTCOUNT( Sales[Customer ID] )

No. of Top 20% - Customers = 
VAR CustomerPercent = DISTINCTCOUNT( Sales[Customer ID] ) * 0.2

RETURN
CALCULATE( [Total Customers] ,
    FILTER( VALUES( Sales[Customer ID] ),
        RANKX( VALUES( Sales[Customer ID] ), [Total Sales], , DESC ) <= CustomerPercent ) )

Below is the screenshot provided for the result -

I’m also attaching the PBIX file of my working for the reference.

Hoping you find this useful and helps you in your analysis. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks & Warm Regards,
Harsh

The Pareto Principle (80-20) Rule.pbix (431.1 KB)

Hello Harsh,

Thank you for your help so far and sorry for the late reply!

What I would like to see is the number customers that actually make up the 80% of sales.

What I’m currently getting is the total number of customer for the region.

Thank you for your support!

Hello @dean.alley,

From what I see is you’ve just calculated the “Total Customers” and not the subsequent part i.e. “No. of Top 20% Customers”. In the above post, I’ve mentioned the formula to calculate this and have also attached the screenshot as well as the PBIX file for the reference.

When we’ve only calculated the “Total Sales” part and selected the slicer it will show the “Overall No. of Customers” available in that particular region. Below is the screenshot provided for the reference.

But once we calculate the “Total Sales for Top 20% Customers” and “No. of Top 20% Customers” the result shall look like this as per the screenshot provided below for the reference -

In the above screenshot, now you’ll observe the difference that although the “Total No. of Customer”
in that particular region is 336 but only 67 Customers contribute to the 80% of the Sales.

Again I’m providing the working of my PBIX file for the reference. Please go through this file.

Thanks & Warm Regards,
Harsh

The Pareto Principle (80-20) Rule.pbix (431.5 KB)

1 Like

Thank you for taking the time to assist me and my question Harsh.

1 Like

Hello @dean.alley,

You’re Welcome. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m glad I was able to help you.

Thanks & Warm Regards,
Harsh

1 Like