HR Consultation Insights - Power BI Challenge #3 Entry from Ojones

Here’s @JarrettM entry for Power BI Challenge 3. @JarrettM, would you like to share how you built this dashboard and what your inspiration is in building it?

To learn about the real-life scenario presented for the challenge, be sure to click on the image below.

power-bi-chal-1

1 Like

I really like the submission. Well done. I like the use of consistent colours across the report, and it’s also quite easy to navigate with the eyes to understand what the important take aways from the analysis are.

One thing that I thought could be added would be some better descriptions around what each visualisation is showcasing. Potentially in the bottom right hand side we have columns charts, these are a bit crunched up and maybe with a simple description and additional formatting to make the insights more clear it would make the insight stand out a little bit more.

But I really like the information, actually quite a lot like how I personally did my showcase submission for the challenge. I realised that we needed to showcase the two interviews for each consultation together, and I can see that you’ve done that as well. You’ve come to the same conclusion that I did.

Nice work

Sam

1 Like

I’m away on holiday, so didn’t have as much time as I would have liked on this submission. I probably would have added an additional slide to help space out my findings. One mistake that many users make is trying to cram too much information onto one slide.

First thing I do when creating a report like this is do a google search for the main color theme I want. Once I find the picture I like, then I go to the following sites to pick out the colors for my theme:

1. Colour Theme Generator at EDNA
  2. https://imagecolorpicker.com/
  3. https://coolors.co/

** In my opinion, this is the biggest mistake that a user can make when creating a model is to not have a color theme that matches. It is the very first thing that the end user notices when they look at the report. It doesn’t matter how good your findings are on that report. If you have a bad choice in color theme, it throws everything off.**

Then Once I have my theme picked out I go to the following site to create my JSON theme that I import into my Power BI Model.

One of the other sites I go to in this process to get all of my icons I use is:

I love using white icons, it make it much easier to add color if I want inside of Power BI, or just keep the white color.

I then open up PowerPoint and create all of my slide templates from there using a technique I saw from Sam in one of his YouTube videos. Link to that video is here:

** I’m thinking of possibly doing a whole series of videos going over what I have covered in this post so far.**

Once I have all of my slides imported in to Power BI, I then upload and transform the data. In this particular challenge I really tried to emphasize trying to accomplish a model with using little to no measures. I did not create any measure in this model. If I had time do this over again, I probably would make the top middle portion of this slide a bit smaller so that I could make the bottom 2 charts a bit bigger. I didn’t really have the time to make a big effort into diving into meaning of the results of this data.

To wrap things up for this challenge, I would say that I tried very hard to keep it simple. Many times users try to create complex models, and cram a bunch of data onto slides. In the end, I think users want a model that is easy to navigate, and makes logical sense!

Here is a copy of my PBIX file: EDNA HR Consultation Insights- Jarrett Moore.pbix (1.2 MB)

Cheers!
Jarrett

2 Likes