How to remove items from the Recent Files List in Desktop 2.123.742.0 (November 2023)?

Hi all.

I have a lot of items in the recent files list in the latest release of Power BI Desktop [2.123.742.0 (November 2023)].

Has anyone figured out how to remove items from this list? (The old “Get Started” [I think] trick no longer seems to be available …)

Greg

Hi @Greg

I cleared all the recent files using the latest version. After first clearing it, the listing was still there but I restarted power bi and then it was gone.

I just wanted to let you know.

thanks
Keith

Thanks @Keith, but I tried several restarts of Power BI and several system reboots with no effect … still looking …
Greg

Hi @Greg,

I did the following process, (which you likely did the same thing)

Certainly! To remove recent files from Power BI, follow these steps:

1. Open Power BI Desktop.
  2. Go to the Get Started screen (File menu > Get Started). If you’ve unchecked the box that says “Show this screen on startup,” this is the screen you’ll see.
  3. Right-click on any of the items in your list of recent files.
  4. You’ll see familiar options, similar to what you might find in Excel or Word. Choose “Clear unpinned items”.
  5. That’s it! Your recently used items list will now be cleared, leaving you with a fresh start.

thanks
Keith

Thanks @Keith, but that option seems to no longer be available for me (or at least I can’t find it) in version 2.123.742.0; the File menu only shown as per the screenshot above. If it’s available for you, if possible, could you please upload a short video showing the version and how it works for you?
Greg

hi @Greg
Here is the video

I hope it helps.
thanks
Keith

Thanks @Keith … that helps. I had the preview feature for “Power BI Home in Desktop” enabled, which excludes the “Get Started”. Once disabled, all good.
Greg

1 Like

I’m glad it helped :slight_smile: