How To Keep Historic Data In Power BI - Advanced Query Editor Concepts

Hello,

I want to keep historical data to track of some KPI’s in past months, However, my file automatically refresh for current month data. is there any way I can keep old data in the data table?

Thanks

What you’re looking for is incremental refresh.

Out of the box Power BI does not have this.

What you could do is attempt to do this within the query editor yourself, where you bring in the latest data, but only extract the most recent changes.

Once you have done that you can then append them onto an existing ‘master’ table, which has all your historic data stacked up.

This is not super easy and kind of hard to explain. I would have to create a video for this and test it myself. There are a number of nuances to getting this to work properly based on all the variables that could happen.

So, the answer is no, but a complex work around could be created.

I will place this on the list to test and create a video about, but it will likely be a few weeks away.

Hello. I face an issue with incremental refresh. In the edit query I create parameters for start and end date and get the historical data successfully in power BI. I clicked right click on the table and click incremental refresh but I can see the toggle button is greyed out. Is there something missing?

Appreciated your help.

I think that Incremental Refresh is currently a PowerBI Premium feature - when it was released last year the message said it was coming to Pro users, but I don’t think it’s here yet. This may be why the option is greyed out for you.

Zizo,

Heather is 100% correct

See this article from Microsoft

Guy

Enterprise%20DNA%20Expert%20-%20Small