How to do Switch Statement for Multiple Columns Iteration

Hi All,

I’m not sure which is the best approach here, I’m guessing a Switch Statement but I may be wrong also not sure if I should do it as a measure or as a calculated column. I’m guessing a measure.

Anyway I’m doing testing at work and would like to create a little Power BI Dashboard showing how devices passed and failed. I’m able to do that already pretty well. What I would like to do now is if a device has failed in any area at all anywhere it be classified as a fail. We do a multiple set of tests up to about 30. So when I put this together it’s going to be a pretty long measure I’m guessing. I’ve put together some example data showing 4 tests not 30 with an example of the finished result I’m expecting. What I’m looking for is a measure that will fill in the last column for me “Overall Test Result”

Any fail in any test should result in a fail in the Overall Test Result Field.

Test Persons Name Date Test 1 Test 2 Test 3 Test 4 Overall Test Result
Brian 5/05/2020 Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass
Mary 5/05/2020 Pass Pass Fail Pass Fail
Brian 6/05/2020 Pass Fail Pass Pass Fail
Mary 6/05/2020 Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass
Brian 7/05/2020 Pass Fail Pass Fail Fail
Mary 7/05/2020 Pass Pass Fail Pass Fail

Example Data.xlsx (15.6 KB)

Thanks in advance

Dave

Hi @DavidNealon,

You seem to want an overall result per Test person and Date. Have you considered translating this logic to Power Query? It’s hard to judge because I don’t know what’s involved considering the source data and test logic but I’m guessing that is doable.

A second idea, instead of Pass/Fail could you assign values 0 and 1 (so swap them as to what you are used to in Excel, meaning 0 = TRUE (pass) and 1 = FALSE (fail) )?
If so, you place Test person and Date on the Rows of a Matrix visual and all your Test results in the Values section, now all row totals greater than 0 = fail. Just a thought.

And writing a Switch Statement is an option as well…

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

1 Like

@DavidNealon,

I was thinking along the same lines as @Melissa. If you unpivot your data and create a simple 1/0 dummy variable in Power Query, your DAX reduces down to two short measures:

Tests Passed = 

CALCULATE(
    SUM( 'Test Data Unpivoted'[Test Result Num]  ),
    ALLEXCEPT(
        'Test Data',
        'Test Data'[Trial   Number]
    ),
    TREATAS(
        VALUES( 'Test Data'[Trial   Number]),
        'Test Data Unpivoted'[Trial Number]
    )
)

Pass Fail = 

VAR TotalTests = 4

RETURN
IF( [Tests Passed] = TotalTests,
    "Pass",
    "Fail"
)

And this DAX will work for 4 tests or 4,000 tests, with the only change being to set the TotalTests variable to the proper number.

I hope this is helpful. Full solution file attached below.

1 Like

Hi @DavidNealon, Did the response provided by the experts help you solve your query? If not, how far did you get, and what kind of help you need further?