How to default last 12 months in date between slicer?

Hi All,

Can someone please help me with one of the issues I am struggling with the date between slicer default to last 12 months ?

Issue : I need to create a report with date between filter, it should be defaulted to last 12 months in the slicer earlier and later user can change the timeframe to verify the other years data. User is not willing to have the relative date filter to select last 12 months because they want to see the complete date range and select the data. If I create any other date slicer it is cross filtering. Kindly help me.

In this filter they should see the last 12 months default filter dynamically based on today’s date. Later they can change the slicer values when we click reset filter it should be defaulting to today’s date - last months date range.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
TS

@tej ,

Just have to setup your slicer a bit different.

Here are steps in pictures:

Thanks
Jarrett

2 Likes

Hi Jarrett,

Thank you so much for your reply. Earlier I have showed this option to client but they are not interested to use relative date filter. Because they want to see the data ranges and flexible to change and verify the date periods using the date between filter it seems :-(.

Cheers,
TS

@tej ,

Ran into a similar issue with a client. What I ended up doing is creating a bookmark (button) on the page that switched between the different types of slicers. That would be your best option in my opinion.

Thanks
Jarrett

2 Likes

Thank you Jarrett. Do you have any sample .pbix with you to understand ?

Cheers,
TS

@tej,

I think it’s better if you try putting something together based on my recommendation, and if you run into an issue, I’d be glad to help. There are plenty of resources here on the forum, and on the Enterprise DNA learning portal that show how to implement bookmarks in your report.

Thanks
Jarrett

@JarrettM,

I have tried to implement something using bookmarks. One of the methods I tried was using an option for custom selection. Page should defaults to the last 12 months and when the user selects change the date ranges he/she can see the filter and change the ranges.

There is an another issue here if user selects a date range and click the reset filters it is defaulting to the last 12 months but they can see the start date range in the custom filter.

User is not interested to click on more options, it is little complex for them :frowning: . Is there any possibility to show them a single slicer with date between range (which shows complete date ranges) and always point the default value to last 12 months dynamically ?

Cheers,
TS

@tej,

Please share the pbix file that you mention, and I’ll put something together. You probably don’t have things setup correctly, if the slicer is cross filtering.

Thanks
Jarrett

If you are using a slicer, and if it’s a date - can’t you put a filter on your slicer like so?

@cmalone1112 ,

You can definitely do that, but then you won’t be able to adjust the date range of the slicer. @tej is looking to be able to do both.

Thanks
Jarrett

@cmalone1112,

Thank you so much for your response :slight_smile: . Clients wants to see the complete date range details from 01/01/2018 to 28/07/2021 in the date (between) slicer and the default value of the slicer should be pointing to last 12 months by default(dynamically). They are not willing to use relative date filter in the visual because we are not able to see the complete date ranges.

Cheers,
TS

@Jarrett,

I am working on RDP with live connection. That’s why I am not able to share the .pbix file here.

Cheers,
TS

it is possible to have both options if you use the filter pane instead of an on-page slicer:

last 12 months - 7/1/2020 - 6/30/2021 (relative date filter)

or specific dates - 3/1/2020 - 12/31/2020 (advanced filtering)

in order to enable the user changing the dates, you need to allow them to change filter types (this only works for the filter pane)

in Options, under the Report Settings section

you need to turn on “allow users to change filter types”

1 Like

@Heather,

There are plenty of users who will be using the report and little tough to educate them with the options. So client is asking us to mention simple filters that too in the page-slicer.

First I thought of giving them two date slicers one with between range and other with relative date. Because of cross filtering between the two date slicers client is asking us to use only date (between) slicer which shows the complete range and should dynamically default to the last 12 months.

Sorry @tej , I don’t have a better suggestion.
This is a problem I encountered with my own user group - and we solved it using the filter pane and allowing the user to change the date filter type - with the default being the relative filter set to the desired range.

I created a short video, explaining aspects of the report that users would need, and included a demonstration of how to change and use the date filter. A link to that video was added to the report’s ‘help’ page (which is included in most of our reports these days)

@tej ,

I generally think Microsoft has done a great job in being responsive to the Power BI user community, but IMO this is one example of a feature that should have been included years ago and is still sitting on the backlog list with nearly 4,000 votes on Power BI Ideas:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=39ba67cf-724e-4b6c-9906-51163749f759

I would encourage you and everyone else reading this thread to take a moment to click the link above and upvote this idea on their board.

– Brian

3 Likes

Hi @tej, did the response provided by @BrianJ help you solve your query? If not, how far did you get and what kind of help you need further? If yes, kindly mark as solution the answer that solved your query.

Hi @tej, we’ve noticed that no response has been received from you since July 29. We just want to check if you still need further help with this post? In case there won’t be any activity on it in the next few days, we’ll be tagging this post as Solved.

Hi @tej, due to inactivity, a response on this post has been tagged as “Solution”. If you have a follow question or concern related to this topic, please remove the Solution tag first by clicking the three dots beside Reply and then untick the check box.