How to create my own customer json theme

Hello All!
I am wanting to create my own colored theme for my files to include: background, colors on as much as possible, font, and font sizing. Also, can a company logo be in this by chance or must that simply be image added manually for each report page?

I had downloaded this sample but am not sure where to begin with determining which color code affects which part or how to go about adding font and sizing as well. If someone knows of a good tutorial that gets into each possible detail that can be contained in the json now that Power BI can read more parts and just not colors, that would be a huge help in saving me research time.

Thank you!

{ 
    "name": "Waveform", 
    "dataColors": ["#31B6FD", "#4584D3", "#5BD078", "#A5D028", "#F5C040", "#05E0DB", "#3153FD", "#4C45D3", "#5BD0B0", "#54D028", "#D0F540", "#057BE0"],
    "background":"#FFFFFF",
    "foreground": "#4584D3",
    "tableAccent": "#31B6FD"
}

I’ve found it’s really only the ‘data colors’ that make a difference in the reports I create.

Check out this tutorial here’s within the Dashboarding & Data Visualization Intensive course. I run through everything I do here.

1 Like

Thank you Sam. I’ll give that course a look after I get to the 4th Summit session I wasn’t able to make.

Hey Sam,
This is such a great tutorial! I’ve tried to access the palettefx website you reference and use, but it no longer exists. Do you know of a good alternative, or do you think that the colour palettes generated using coolors.co is sufficient?
Thanks,

@bgood,

Check out Colorfavs - basically does the same thing Palette FX did:

http://www.colorfavs.com/

And here’s one that is less useful but super cool - great color palettes taken from album covers:

• Brian
2 Likes

Thanks @BrianJ

@bgood
There is a Chrome browser extension called “Palette Creator”. You google for a picture that fits the theme or mood you are looking for, e.g. a sunset, right-click on the picture, select Palette Creator, and Voila! You have generated a palette out of the picture.

PaletteCreator2

PaletteCreator3

BR
Martin

4 Likes

@Martin many thanks, that’s great.

@Martin,

FYI - I really liked your recommendation of Palette Creator, but my system flags it as malware. I found another extension called Site Palette that has the same functionality, but scans clean.

• Brian
1 Like

Thanks for the recommendation, @BrianJ! I also had trouble with Palette Creator not passing my organization’s security scans.

The 8 data colors in the theme. Where/how are these used ?

They will replace the colors you see here:

Should have clarified - where/how are they referenced in power bi ?

@markperrone,

Save your JSON theme file, and then add it to your power BI report via the following steps:

• Brian
1 Like